Help Plz!i Get Garbled Display From Ati 9800 Pro

i really really need help here.....

i just installed a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB 256 Byte card after replacing the stock HSF with a ThermalTake Giant III....

now when the computer boots, the display is garbled....everything looks corrupt....

already tried reseating the display card but no improvement at all

can some1 plz help me out....

my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 765MB with magicbright....

help plz....

try and clean the card's contacts with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, i had a card do the same thing, turns out it was dirty

-drew

487987[/snapback]

just tried it and things got worse....

now cannot see anything....all i get are vertical color stripes....

HELP ME!!!!

i just tried plugging in my asus ati radeon 9550GE and it seems to work wonderfully...

but y would'nt the radeon 9800 pro work?

anything to do with the clock speed? or mobo bios maybe? or monitor setting?

Edited by cyrixMII300

So did you replace the heatsink on the 9800 Pro? Im confused, but if you did, then whipe it clean with isopropyl alchohal, let it dry, and put back the stock heatsink and see if that fixes it. Then work from there.

i just installed a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB 256 Byte card after replacing the stock HSF with a ThermalTake Giant III....

At a guess I would say this Tt Giant III isn't making good contact with the core.

yea sounds like u need to redo the heatsink on it cuz its not making good contact and is overheating.

488029[/snapback]

ok...i will try to do that but just for ur info the heatsink seems pretty cool to the touch and now that i think about it... the card does seem hot though... let me try this approach and see what happens....

:withstupid::foldon:

ok...i will try to do that but just for ur info the heatsink seems pretty cool to the touch and now that i think about it... the card does seem hot though... let me try this approach and see what happens....

:withstupid:  :foldon:

488049[/snapback]

Cool to touch doesn't necessarily mean better :) Cool to the touch could very well mean it's just not making good contact and therefore not "absorbing" the heat as it should be. Sounds very much to me like it's not making good contact. You should perhaps keep your fingers crossed and hope you haven't permanently damaged the core! :ph34r:

EDIT: Just read another thread you posted about this ( I guess you asked again to get a response as you're desperate :P ). If you've used AS5 you may also want to make sure that none of it has spilt too far off the edge of the core (you said you used generous amounts, so it's quite possible) and covered any of the small components around the core. AS5 is still slightly conductive (capacitive, but to me that implies conductive too ) supposedly... so that might cause problems

EDIT: Just read another thread you posted about this ( I guess you asked again to get a response as you're desperate :P ). If you've used AS5 you may also want to make sure that none of it has spilt too far off the edge of the core (you said you used generous amounts, so it's quite possible) and covered any of the small components around the core. AS5 is still slightly conductive (capacitive, but to me that implies conductive too ) supposedly... so that might cause problems

488051[/snapback]

Yep, it seems my friends 9800pro had the little smd's around the gpu shorted out with as5, which is why it got all garbled...after cleaning it tho, it still didnt work but he was able to rma it. Hopefully your card just needs some good cleaning around the core and it'll be fine though. I guess it depends which resistors you short out if the card can "come back". Good luck!

Yep, it seems my friends 9800pro had the little smd's around the gpu shorted out with as5, which is why it got all garbled...after cleaning it tho, it still didnt work but he was able to rma it. Hopefully your card just needs some good cleaning around the core and it'll be fine though. I guess it depends which resistors you short out if the card can "come back". Good luck!

488090[/snapback]

already took the whole thing apart and tried reinstalling it all and still i get the same crap out of it there is extremely good contact between the gpu and HSF...... am at the end of my wits right now.....

i have never even used it....

just swapped the HSF and tried to start and thats the first thing i get.....

what crap!!!

could i really have shorted the gpu? even when i opened it up the original thermal paste was already all over the gpu....cleaned that up and applied AS5...

come on guys.... i am desperate here... its a lot of money the card.... u know....

and i have on my table splinter cell pandora tomorrow waiting to be played....also star wars....

what the hell could the problem be?

btw, if the core is damaged or the cards been shorted....can windows still continue booting coz i can see on the monitor that the comp is running and booting as usual but only the display is crappy....

btw, if the core is damaged or the cards been shorted....can windows still continue booting coz i can see on the monitor that the comp is running and booting as usual but only the display is crappy....

488301[/snapback]

Yes, you would be surprised, i have chipped little bitty tiny chips off of motherboards before and they still work but with limited capacity.

you probably shorted it out.

now if you go to RMA it. MAKE SURE TO GET ALL of the AS5 OFF. EVERY BIT or they will not take it back. make sure you get the crappy goop they have on from factory back on there and make it look as if it hasnt been tampered with.