Sign in to follow this  
Onyks

Ddr Vs. Ddr2

I dont understand the differences all that well and i was also wondering does DDR2 support dual channel?

im getting a mobo that supports both and would it be better to get 1 gig ddr Dual or 1 gig DDR2 ??? freq is 400mhz on both

Edited by Onyks

I didn't know there were any mobo's that support both...and why would you anyway? DDR2 will run at higher frequencies, but with higher latencies. It really isn't useful on an AMD chip. P4's need bandwidth and are less sensitive to latency, so if you are going with a P4 I'd just go ahead and get a dedicated DDR2 board.

There really isn't any reason to buy a board that will run both unless you like spending money. :P

If you just HAVE to get the board that supports both, and you'll be running it at 400 mhz, then a good pair of 512 MB PC3200 DDR sticks would be better than DDR2 I would think. I really don't see the reason to have the support for both though...

The only reason you would need that type of board is if you want to upgrade to Socket 775 but only have enough money for the mobo and processor, but not good, quality RAM. This way, you would be able to continue using your current, possibly performance, RAM while still enjoying the "benefits" to a socket 775 system. Once you get enough money to upgrade to DDR2, you won't have to worry about swapping out your board since you can just pop out the old DDR RAM and pop in the new DDR2.

However, note that the board you mentioned is only rated for DDR2-533, while there are others that are rated all the way up to DDR2-800. Just keep in mind that your DDR2 options are severely limited with that board. You can only DDR2-400 and DDR2-533. DDR2-633 and DDR2-800 are not viable options for that board.

Guest FxXP

It's not DDR2-633, its DDR2-667. DDR-800 doesn't even exist. The maximum is DDR-550 (PC4400).

There are some overclocker variants of DDR2 out there. Corsair has DDR2-538 and DDR2-675.

It's not DDR2-633, its DDR2-667. DDR-800 doesn't even exist. The maximum is DDR-550 (PC4400).

488038[/snapback]

Yes, you are quite right about DDR-667. I mixed that up with 533 (it was like 4 AM when I posted).

About DDR2-800 not existing, I would beg to differ. (Though I'm pretty sure they're overclocked DDR2-667 modules, so you WOULD be correct in that regard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145567

Yes, you are quite right about DDR-667. I mixed that up with 533 (it was like 4 AM when I posted).

About DDR2-800 not existing, I would beg to differ. (Though I'm pretty sure they're overclocked DDR2-667 modules, so you WOULD be correct in that regard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145567

488054[/snapback]

Wow, cool but the latencies are crazy terrible! Just a question though, isn't DDR2 only available with a 915 or 925 chipset? meaning Intel only?

Wow, cool but the latencies are crazy terrible!  Just a question though, isn't DDR2 only available with a 915 or 925 chipset?  meaning Intel only?

488310[/snapback]

yep :)

as far as i could research you are right. ive already changed to an asus board since that is just... too much for him. kinda wanna oem proc just to save a few bux or a mobo/cpu combo to save some money would be nice too.