Twinx1024 Vs Cmx3500

At http://www.corsairmicro.com/xms/xms_modules.html , the first product listed is the TWINX1024-3200LL modules. They're described as a matching pair, "especially for nforce2 and Granite Bay" (click the link to the right), for dual channel ram, at 400 Mhz.

My question is, is that pair actually specific to these boards? If 2 sticks of CMX512-3500C2 (the 3rd product on that page) were used instead, with a granite bay board, wouldn't that also function as dual channel ram (at 434 Mhz)?

While they aren't just for those boards, they are designed to run in a Dual Channel system, and have been tested as so. They have lower latencys and different onboard info on their modules.

If you use "normal" RAM in a dual channel system, they won't be tested together and might slow you down instead of speeding you up like a dual channel system should.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying..

So the potential power of the XMS3500 ram (after overclocking) is not enough of a reason to pair 2 sticks of it with a granite bay board? But instead the pairing of the lower Mhz, but lower timings, 400 mhz TwinX ram with the granite bay is a better combo?

When you said, "If you use "normal" RAM in a dual channel system, they won't be tested together and might slow you down instead of speeding you up like a dual channel system should," are you assuming the ram might slow the system down just because they haven't been tested together by Corsair? Because I thought the pairing of two XMS3500's were common for dual channel systems?