Upgrading Time! (maybe)

ok heres my current system:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

1.5 GB Corsair XMS

Gigabyte 9800XT 256

Audigy 2 ZS

WD Raptor 74GB

I was thinking of upgrading the video card to either X800pro or X800XL. would my system be too slow for these cards? like bottleneck the new card? or is there a nividia suggestion? Id kinda like to stay with ATI but I would think about Nvidia also... thanks for the help :foldon:

PS. would my antec 430W PSU be strong enough for those cards?

Edited by Vic Mackey

If I was in your situation I'd go for a new motherboard/ processor. I'm not sure, but the AXP processor may be the bottleneck of your system, if anything.

Edited by Instag0

If I was in your situation I'd go for a new motherboard/ processor. I'm not sure, but the AXP processor may be the bottleneck if your system, if anything.

487069[/snapback]

No that proc isn't bottlenecking your vid card. when i run 3dmark 03 i notice that i get way better scores when i OC my vid card. if my proc was bottlenecking my system i would see some serious gains when i run the benchmark @ stock and @ OC on the proc i mean..but i don't not as much as compared to the gains i get when i OC the vid card..I think you need like a 6800Ultra or an equivalent or in SLI before you start bottlenecking a 3200+..I read that in a maximum p c magazine..You will see some serious gains if you went with either card you mentioned.

Yes, but he will bottleneck harder on the CPU on newer games than the 9800XT 256mb. Thats NOT a slow card. That would eat alot of cards out there. I am not sure, but how does it compare to the x800 series? I am sure it would eat the x700 series, and I think it would eat a x800SE or a normal x800. Once again, I am not sure.

Yes, but he will bottleneck harder on the CPU on newer games than the 9800XT 256mb. Thats NOT a slow card. That would eat alot of cards out there. I am not sure, but how does it compare to the x800 series? I am sure it would eat the x700 series, and I think it would eat a x800SE or a normal x800. Once again, I am not sure.

487600[/snapback]

Im pretty sure that an x800 would "eat" his current card... it may not be a "slow" card but it is not by all means top of the line anymore...

Anyways as has been said above I THINK that the X800 should go fine... youll see a big difference and you can upgrade your CPU and Mobo later on down the road..

Im pretty sure that an x800 would "eat" his current card... it may not be a "slow" card but it is not by all means top of the line anymore...

Anyways as has been said above I THINK that the X800 should go fine... youll see a big difference and you can upgrade your CPU and Mobo later on down the road..

487632[/snapback]

If you really wanna upgrade get an x800xl now, and then later when you go 939 you can grab another one as a crossfire model and crossfire them. It would be cheaper though to wait until the r520s come out and all the dust clears with the future gen of cards.