Overclocking 6800 O/c Bfg

Hey again.. I just recently got a 6800 BFG O/C AGP Card, brand new, (so I know its never been tampered with as far as overclocking). This is the situation.. I Ran coolbits on it and did the auto-detect setting, (stock the card sits at 350 core and 700 memory), so I figured that auto-detect would come up with something better than 371 core and 735 ram. I toned down the settings on the core, just in case that the stock cooling wasnt enough, and left the ram as it was.. Success. Next I got my hands on RivaTuner, and unlocked the extra pipes on the card, now its running at 16 pipes. Which boosted 800 points in 3d mark03 alone. My question is this: Is there a better cooling solution so I can overclock higher?? I fiddled with it a little, and got it at 355 core/750 memory right now, but the 2.2 ram on it should theoretically go to 909 mhz... I was thinking about taking off the stock hsf unit, and putting on some Artic Silver 5 and reseating it, but will that actually be able to pull off better values?? The case side is off the computer now, and there are 2 90mm fans blowing from the face of the computer now, so I dont think air circulation is a problem..

What do you peeps think about the AS5 on it? Also, does putting that stuff on there void a warranty from BFG?? As it is Lifetime and all...

=========================

Here are some of the 3dmark03 scores that I achieved:

9094- 6800 o/c stock @ 12 pipes

9853- 6800 o/c stock @ 16 pipes

10209- 6800 o/c @ 365/735 @ 16 pipes

10087- 6800 o/c @ 355/750 @ 16 pipes

=============================

The rig is as follows: (In case specs are needed)

AMD Athlon XP 2500 @ 2.2ghz 400 FSB

768MB Corsair XMS PC3200

DFI NF2 Ultra B Lanparty Board

BFG 6800 OC AGP Vid.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Im basically looking for the most bang out of this card without hurting it..

u havent done much overclocking.. have u gone to the max yet? (ie. instability, artifact) ?? at all yet? just keep OCing until u cant go any further and then worry about teh cooling

u havent done much overclocking.. have u gone to the max yet? (ie. instability, artifact) ?? at all yet? just keep OCing until u cant go any further and then worry about teh cooling

487013[/snapback]

I just tried to do 780 on the ram, and got artifacts on 3dmark03... :( does that mean I have reached the max??

no... thats just starting to get hot

the "max" would be when you like, literally cant run any 3D apps, theyre very instable, screen full of artifacts, or whatever OCing program you have wont let you go up anymore

high temps is OCing's worst enemy... the colder it is, the higher it can go! so if u want to get ur max, get some better cooling

no... thats just starting to get hot

the "max" would be when you like, literally cant run any 3D apps, theyre very instable, screen full of artifacts, or whatever OCing program you have wont let you go up anymore

high temps is OCing's worst enemy... the colder it is, the higher it can go! so if u want to get ur max, get some better cooling

487022[/snapback]

will reseating the stock hsf unit (has 2 fans on it) with Arctic Silver 5 make any difference? will that void a warranty with BFG?

haha almost anything u do with the card voids the warranty these days.. but i was wondering the same, i mean, would they get that technical and check what kinda thermal compound it was?

what they dont know doesnt hurt them ya know, like OCing, and u can buy a new cooler, but if u RMA it, be sure to put the original back on.. but ya i dont know about the thermal compound its something ive always wondered

If you get 900MHz out of that card i'll kill you :D My card has 2.2ns RAM on it but I have been battling for ages trying to figure out why it won't get there. I may have managed 850MHz as of today, but with 0.1v more than it should need to get to 900MHz :)

Better cooling... try an Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer NV5 :) Either that or hack up a big heatsink to go on the core and use some RAM sinks for the RAM. I'm quite happy with my NV5 though.

well i have an arctic nv5 on my 6800gtoc and its rock stable at 434/1.14 where it got 13371 in 3d mark 03 and 5783 in 05.i was getting scores in the 12k range before. so, yeah a better cooler makes a difference ou just need to decide if the points are worth the cost

-drew

well, I did some more tinkering with it, and got it to 380 core/ 770 memory stable. I ran 3dmark03 again and got 10680. Is 11K possible??? lol

487077[/snapback]

Yes, definately :) My best is 12.6k with a 6800NU. I think I was getting over 11k with stock volts, 400 / 800

well i have an arctic nv5 on my 6800gtoc and its rock stable at 434/1.14 where it got 13371 in 3d mark 03 and 5783 in 05.i was getting scores in the 12k range before.  so, yeah a better cooler makes a difference ou just need to decide if the points are worth the cost

-drew

487064[/snapback]

i dont understand this? i have a 6800 ultra why am i getting lower 3dmark03 scores than some people and much higher 05 on the same person?

holodream- i think if you mess with the settings in 3d 05 it'll give you a different score, i left mine as is, while others bring down all of the quality and pretties levels. we need a standard benchmarking standard

-drew