Sign in to follow this  
erdian7926

Dual Processors

I'm trying to build my own computor, I don't need a lot of the junk that comes with prebuilt computors. I already have Microsoft office, photoshop, XP pro, and pretty much any other software I might need.

SO, I was looking around, getting a general Idea of what I wanted. I noticed that processors, are too expensive at 3 gigahertz. SO I naturally started wondering, why don't I do dual proccessors? It might end up as more expensive in the long run, but If I'm going to pay the money, I might as well.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a motherboard that supports dual processors.

Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Heres what I'm trying to put in my 'puter (sofar if you suggest changing anything, I'd be happy to listen, I'm KINDOF new to this process)

4x corsair 512m dual channel ram

Cool case

300gb 7200rpm 8m cash hard drive

This very nice really fast dvd/cd drive

Two 2.0Ghz-2.5ghz Amd Processors

a cheap 17in flat screen

a midline sound card

128m graphics card (havn't decided on this yet)

I already have nice speakers, keyboard, mouse etc.

Also, I'm trying to keep this computor (hopefully) under $1500, preferably closer to 1000.

I want this computor to be HIGHLY upgradable.

I plan on getting a good motherboard, good case, and keeping the darn thing just below the top of the line.

Thanks a lot. :D

erdian7926

PS. with everything right now, I'm at about $700

Edited by erdian7926

Good luck trying to keep it under 1.5k. In order for your "upgrade proof" box, here's one that will work for a while, and even has PCI-E.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131059

You wanted > 2GB, but it's pricey: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103411

If you wanna get them a bit cheaper, how about almost 1/2 the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103388

Wow, that was fast, thanks, I'll look into that

any chance some one could suggest a video card? I'm getting a tad overbudget by now, so not TOO expensive, Aka under $200? 128mB. I could probably find one myself but just incase you have any suggestions.

erdian

Edited by erdian7926

SO what are you going to DO with this PC? I mean unless its going to be running multi threaded processes then Dual CPUs are worthless. as for cost, if you get two AMD CPUs at 2.0 (got to be opterons which suck for gaming for the dual) then you looking at $328 per CPU now he in the heck is that goign to help you at all? when a 3500+ Athlong 64 would be a better idea for a day to day PC. (keep in mind a 3500+ @ 2.2 will cost you around $280ish.)

also keep in mind an Athlon XP at 1.8ghz cant touch my 3000+ at stock 1.8ghz. I dont think a dual CPU setup is even in your budget, I mean the boards are double in price, lack some features, its just not a good everyday use idea (keep in mind $274 for that dual board vs a normal single CPU board for $150 or less. I mean dang almost $900 for the 2.0 x 2 idea and you dont have anything BUT the CPUS and board, not even a cooler for the CPUs!!!

It supposed to be a mid/upper range gaming computor. As I stated, I don't have much more than a good working knowledge of computors. I'm completely self educated in computors. I don't personally know anyone who knows more than myself, so, I'm kindof up a creek when it comes to learning more.

erdian

Edited by erdian7926

I agree with what cchalogamer said, but need a server for what you do...

It looks to me like the ram you've chosen isn't registered, and most, if not all, dual cpu motherboards will require registered memory.

I'm by no means an expert, but here's some reasonably priced stuff that I was considering for my "someday" server build.

registered ram

For that kind of money you could build yourself a really nice dual PIII system, but there is really no point in doing that unless your are goinf to be running multi-threaded apps. I think the only game that supports dual-CPU's is HL2, (not sure though.) If I were you I would build a A64 rig, I've got three right now and I may sell one if you're interested.

Right now I've got a A64 3200/MSI K8N neo platinum, 512MB PC3200 ram, seagate barracuda 7200.8 SATA 250GB hd, OCZ modstream PSU, Lian-Li V-1100, liteon 1633 DVD burner and I'm into that for about $1200CAD. Just to give you and idea of the kind of system you can build for $1500 :)

But if I were to build another one I would go with the DFI NF4 Ultra this time. Oh and BTW my system will smoke most dual proc. systems in games and benchies!

Hope that helps you not make the mistake of building a dual CPU system.

Alright, I guess dual processors arn't really a good Idea. I guess I'll start from scratch then.

thankyou for all of your suggestions, any more would be greatly apreciated.

IE, the more I try to do this, the more I find I'm in completely over my head. I can tell this is going to take a while.

erdian

no HL2 does NOT support dual cpus (SMP). the only games that have ever supported SMP are games based on the Quake3 engine and the Doom3 engine. it seems as though ID software has something for dualies.