Fx 3400 Vs 6800gt

jlab13

I need to build a system for a program that is cad like. It's more of a visualizer that uses OpenGL.

I have been spec-ing a fx-3400 for awhile, but now I'm starting to reconsider. For the price of 1 fx-3400 I can get 2 6800gt's in SLI. Any thoughts on this? It seems like the SLI 6800's would have enough juice to handle 3d visualization and cad. Plus, it would now be a friendlier media system as well.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, is the 6800gt a 'drastic' drop in performance compared to the Ultra? Thx.

CAD doesnt work in SLI yet, it can if you devote 1month to write a program for it. and no one 3400 will outdue 2x6800's not is games but in cad since there not made for cad but for games and the vertex floats points are like 5 in 6800's and 12 in one 3400. (something close to that) but a 3400 cant even play doom3 on 600x800 on the lowest settings much more than cs 1.6 now the 6800's can play it on max settings ultra mod and 1200x1600 at 80fps!, b/c they are made for gaming not massive floating points that CAD needs.

look more up at www.tomshardware.com

The cad portion of this program is very basic. I run it now on my laptop (radeon 9700 w/128mb). It's more the 3d viz that I'm concerned about. I wrote to the authors of the program and they said my main concern should be a good OpenGL card. That's why I'm considering the 6800 cards w/OpenGL 2.0. Heck, one card w/512mb might be a good choice as well, instead of 2 w/256 if the program won't really take advantage.

Any suggestions?

once ati releases thier new cards and thier form of "sli", nvidia's would be obsolete compared to it. just have a dedicated card for your useage. cad cards only for cad, game cards only for games unless they can be flashed otherwise.

yeah im with matymcfly on that one, ATi cards can't handle opengl , there more based on directX in doom3 both top end cards, the 6800Utra has a 20fps overlap but in hl2 it lose's about 25-30fps, doom3=opengl hl2=DirectX

Edited by hornybluecow