Website Building

Hushplz

Aint sure where to put this post, but i guess here will be ok.

I'm looking to build my own website, But am not sure where to go or what to use!

I have tried www.geocities.com (pagebuilder) And i HATE IT!

I have Office 2003 so can use that for tools.

Just need a site which will let me build and upload pictures without being to complicated.

Did i mention i want it to be free! :P

Any guidance would be great :) Thanks Alex

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just google "wysiwyg web editors freeware", or the like. There are a bazillion free web programs, everybody seems to like different things in an editor, so just download and try until you find something that clicks.

Please, please, please - don't use anything from MS Office to write a webpage. Please? Ya, that applies to not just MS, but any word-processing app. If you must use a GUI-based app, get a freeware/shareware version; or learn how the code works and use notepad. With a straight text-based app you get much more control of your code and much less bloat.

Even Mozilla and Netscape (i think) have a built-in lightweight html editor.

So MS/WORD/PUBLISHER/FRONTPAGE/ACCESS are all useless?

For the price we pay there must be something there good at...........

I want something which is simple to use like geocities but not geocities :P

I struggled to use Google Blog, and fortune City.

I can use geocities but it's to picky about uploading and gets on my nerves!

Google Blog i just didnt understand, and fortune City just.... well i just lost patience with it. :(

I dont want anything complicated, just to make a site with a few links a couple of pictures and some info.

Any ideas?

Ill continue searching google for now!

Thanks

I don't know about FrontPage, but MS Office Publisher writes code that borders on ridiculous. It seems to think that IE is the only browser on the web, and as cybergrunt said, it makes a bunch of gibberish code.

Edit: As you try editors, mock up a quick test and preview it on several browsers. A site that looks great in the editor can turn to crap on a browser, so it's good to know before you get too invested.

Edited by Phil

What do you guys use?

I just dont see the point in paying that money for MS office 2003 when i only use MS Word.

Still looking on google there are lots so i must find one a like soon! :(

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know of a program which records your screen whilst playing online? So i can make a short movie of me playing :P i oWn!

Thanks Guys You Rule!

I've used FrontPage, Dreamweaver, and Notepad before and I must say that notepad is the one I like the best.

FrontPage is from M$ and thats enough for me to never use it again, but it adds soo much useless code into your files making them much bigger and in the long run (if you make super-big pages) then it will take alot of time to load. I never really liked their interface all that much, it wasnt the easiest thing to navigate around in so that kinda turned me away from it as well.

Dreamweaver is actually not that bad. It doesnt add any extra code into your files. I like how you can have the window split and see both code and you site all at once. I cant think of much bad to say about it. Its not that good for editing existing pages because when you start a new tag, like the bold tag for instance, it adds the ending to it right after. As in if I type <b>, it shows up as <b></b>. So thats the only real thing that I dont like about it.

I like Notepad the best because it adds no extra code and its simple, no extra buttons and nearly every computer has it. I know my HTML pretty darn good otherwise I would definitly use Dreamweaver, but if you know it I would use notepad.

EDIT: I just found a site that offers 12mb of free hosting, ad-supported though.

http://www.freeservers.com/

I use Dreamweaver, tried frontpage hated it and I like Syntax colouring so I wouldnt use Notepad unless I was just doing HTML no CSS or PHP. I reccomend Dreamweaver. oh and it has a built in ftp client (uploader/downloader)

What do you guys use?

I just dont see the point in paying that money for MS office 2003 when i only use MS Word.

Still looking on google there are lots so i must find one a like soon! :(

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know of a program which records your screen whilst playing online? So i can make a short movie of me playing :P i oWn!

Thanks Guys You Rule!

486328[/snapback]

Ya, it is a huge annoyance to pay that much for MS Office - try using OpenOffice instead (free!). And yes, as already posted, they are horrible for making web pages. Can they do www pages? Yes. Do they work right in other browsers? Not usually. Is the code bloated? Horribly.

Yes, OpenOffice is just about as bad - they are good tools, just the wrong ones for the job; it's like using a screwdriver as a hammer.

I'd recommend that you try a WYSIWYG editor (like Mozilla, dreamweaver, Nvu, etc) that does syntax coloring and built-in canned tags so you can see how the format works, and to get the basic definition of your page down, then you can clean it up and tweak it with Notepad.