Xaser Iii Super Tower

Yeah, I'm newb without much experience.

I built my third PC last summer, encased Xaser III Super Tower, and I haven't had any real time to fix some annoying problems that came up.

The number one problem that I need the most help with is, it has two top side USB 2.0 ports (with 9 pins on the jumpers). Any USB 1.1 device works fine in these, but all 2.0 causes the system to have a hard hang.

I've tried my mobo in other cases and other mobos in my case and it seems to be that the case is the problem.

Anyone heard of this issue and/or how to fix it?

I have no problem soldering in new ports, but I don't know if that would fix it and if so, where would I get them from?

Yeah, I'm newb without much experience.

I built my third PC last summer, encased Xaser III Super Tower, and I haven't had any real time to fix some annoying problems that came up.

The number one problem that I need the most help with is, it has two top side USB 2.0 ports (with 9 pins on the jumpers).  Any USB 1.1 device works fine in these, but all 2.0 causes the system to have a hard hang.

I've tried my mobo in other cases and other mobos in my case and it seems to be that the case is the problem.

Anyone heard of this issue and/or how to fix it?

I have no problem soldering in new ports, but I don't know if that would fix it and if so, where would I get them from?

484958[/snapback]

You mobo probably just needs updated mobo drivers. Check the motehrboard cd for usb drivers, or just reinstall the whole lot of em, it wont hurt ;).

**edit** just noticed you said u tried other mobos, did they have all the right drivers installed? I guess its possible for the ports to be dirty, but there really isnt anything there to "break", its just a port. **edit**

yeah, my roommate in college and I both kept our drivers and bios's on all our PCs update to the latest versions, so I definitely think it's the ports.

Additional note, if I use the bracket that comes with the mobo (2 USB 2.0 that sits on a back pci port) and run that cable to the mobo, those work fine

I can't think of what's wrong with it then, if you say it's plugged-in properly and all the correct drivers are installed and working. I had that same case and used the USB ports in 2.0 mode all the time, never had a problem with them.

It must be the way you've got the BIOS configured or something along those lines. Go into your BIOS and check that everything is configured to allow USB 2.0.

I recently set up a customer's new PC in a Xaser V case with the top USB ports.

I was sort of rushed and when I had the OS installed I noticed that one would work fine with the external HDD, but the other gave "Unknown Device" errors.

I had gotten the + and - reversed on the left port...

Take them both off the board and try again, but write down the pattern of colors beforehand so you don't try a known bad config more than once! :blink:

You'll get it. Like you said, the PCI panel ports work perfectly...so you know it isn't the MOBO.

GL!

fastvfr,

I don't remember removing the pins from the usb molex when doing my sleeving (since part of the shielding was so wide, i just had to use really a large sleeve), but I guess I'll have to sit down and fumble with this and see if maybe I did slip up.

Thanks for all the advice