Weird Problem

No I'm not having burning issues. Im having read issues. My TDK veloCD 40/12/48X drive as of the last 2 days won't ready any cd unless it is a cd that has been burnt by it or another CD R/RW. Anyone have any clue as to what the problem is? Ive tried rewriting the firmware to the drive thinking that the firmware could have become corrupt but no luck. Of corse I have restarted the comp many times to no avail.

No I'm not having burning issues. Im having read issues. My TDK veloCD 40/12/48X drive as of the last 2 days won't ready any cd unless it is a cd that has been burnt by it or another CD R/RW. Anyone have any clue as to what the problem is? Ive tried rewriting the firmware to the drive thinking that the firmware could have become corrupt but no luck. Of corse I have restarted the comp many times to no avail.

Before this issue came up, were you having any other type of issues, or did you change anything?

Have you tried to see if it will work outside of your current OS install? Maybe you could try booting off of a pressed CD (Windows install). Also, if you have more than one optical drive (dvd etc), maybe you can try burning a copy of a live Linux distro (Knoppix, DSL, etc) and booting off of the dvd, and see if will recognize any other disc in the burner.

Yes it does this outside the os too and I also did burn a copy of fedora linux and it does boot that but if I stick my xp cd in to boot it won't boot the xp cd. Before now I had no issues so why its suddenly doing this idk. Because of that inorder to reinstall xp I had to use my other drive to boot by changeing it from slave to master and my tdk drive from master to slave. I also contacted TDK on the issue and they said it will be 2 to 5 business days till they reply. And to say it again if I didnt already It only will play burnt cds. It won't play non burnt data or music cds at all.

Just double-checking.  I'd say the drive is shot - you'll need to RMA it (if you can), exchange it if it's new enough (and you still have the receipt) or just get a new one.

485046[/snapback]

I agree, I believe their is a second assembly that reads burned cds and stamped.