Building A New Pc

I'm building a rig for a friend and I need some help.

Probably going to go with a 64bit proccessor and run XP64 Bit edition.

Basically, I'm looking for a motherboard with decent onboard audio, and no onboard video. I also need some help with the proccessor. I haven't even decided between AMD and Intel.

Probably just going to use a PCI video card I have, as nothing fancy is needed.

Motherboard audio should be able to support these speakers. If not I guess I'll throw in a sound card.

So what I'm asking for is a good 64bit mobo/cpu/ram for around $500.

Thanks everyone

Dan

Guest Raven65

Go with an MSI Neo4 Plat. MoBo. As per where not newegg. For a processor i'd go with AMD!

Go with an MSI Neo4 Plat. MoBo. As per where not newegg. For a processor i'd go with AMD!

484417[/snapback]

Yeah, If I was buying a MSI Neo4 platinum I would put an AMD CPU in it too....... :blink:

I hear Intel CPU's don't fit them ;)

A CPU/MB/RAM combo for 500 should not be hard at all. That MSI Plat is like 130-140, AMD 3000+ venice is like 155. You can can good RAM (1 gig) for starting at like 130-150. Even at the top end there you are at about 450 total. If you want to spend the other 50 you could go with the 3200 for like 200, or upgrade the RAM to say OCZ plat rev2 which is about 185-190.

There are a number of decent MBs and RAM sticks in your price range...do a little research on them. One thing is for sure though, you'll get more bang for your buck with an AMD processor.

processor and ram are fine... but since you are going to use a PCI graphics card i'd suggest going for the DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136152

as it has more voltages options, and a wider range of new cards (ie. pci-e) as agp is already beginning to be phased out...

~$20 more... but more oc potential, and leaves your options open with regard to graphics cards (also you'd easily save $20 by buying a pci-e vs an agp card a lot of the time)

:withstupid: I'm in agreement with nrg on that.

Even if you don't go with the DFI, then I'd get something with pci-e to give you better upgrade options in the future.

Yeah don't buy an AGP now...there really is no point in it.

And guys, he is building this for a friend. If the friend can't build his own rig, he certainly isn't going to (or at least shouldn't) OC it. With that in mind, I don't think the DFI is the best choice with stability in mind.

And guys, he is building this for a friend.  If the friend can't build his own rig, he certainly isn't going to (or at least shouldn't) OC it.  With that in mind, I don't think the DFI is the best choice with stability in mind.

484752[/snapback]

You are right. My buddy doesn't even know what overclock means. I myself have a 3.0E P4 Processor running at 3.8 but I don't know much about AMDs. I've just realized that they are better processors in my opinion. Maybe I'll sell him my setup and go AMD myself.......

Thanks guys