New Computer Planned For Summer

gunak87

This summer I'm planning on building a new computer. Next year is my Senior year in high school, so I figured I should do it now before I go to college with no moneys.

I've been putting some stuff together on Newegg, this is what I've come up with:

CPU-------------AMD 64 3700+ San Diego Core

Mobo------------DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

Video Cards----2x XFX 6800GT 256MB

RAM-------------OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 500 (PC 4000)

Case------------Lian Li PC-65

Power Supply--OCZ 520 Watt

Hard Drives----2x Seagate 160GB Barracuda SATA

This is a pretty tentative outline. If prices drop, I might move something up a notch. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the price down? All of this right now, plus a DVD burner is just under $2000. I'm cool with that, but cheaper is never a bad thing. I'm debating whether to buy that OCZ RAM, or just stick with the Patriot stuff I have right now.

right now Sli is pretty useless, or so I hear, but looks good otherwise, but if you have the money, then why not I guess.

right now Sli is pretty useless, or so I hear, but looks good otherwise, but if you have the money, then why not I guess.

483830[/snapback]

Well, maybe I'll back it down to one 6800 Ultra or a Radeon X850Xt.

OR since this is going to be a summer build, drop the whole sli idea and go with the "sli slayer" a.k.a. the r520 ati cards. They are slated for next month and should kill any sli setup in one card. Plus, you'll be able to use AMR if you get the ati board that will support AMR.

OR since this is going to be a summer build, drop the whole sli idea and go with the "sli slayer"  a.k.a. the r520 ati cards.  They are slated for next month and should kill any sli setup in one card.  Plus, you'll be able to use AMR if you get the ati board that will support AMR.

483978[/snapback]

^Yep, that will be beasty. The price:performance ratio of sli is horrible, and when r520s come out one will beat sli, and two will be insane...more power then 4x6800s - wtf thats overkill! :lol:

OR since this is going to be a summer build, drop the whole sli idea and go with the "sli slayer"  a.k.a. the r520 ati cards.  They are slated for next month and should kill any sli setup in one card.  Plus, you'll be able to use AMR if you get the ati board that will support AMR.

483978[/snapback]

Sounds like that could be a plan. :D mmmmmm I'm getting excited.