Rust Rust Rust.. I Hate It

asus

I hate rust, my 93 toyota corolla has rust around the weel wells.. it really pisses me off. I hate rust.! But we live in NY so, what do ya expect. how is the bet way to go about fixing this..

the right back side is the worst, with the rust going all the way trough the mettle so its brittle and breaks off. Idk what to do exept slap some bondo on it and paint it.. but i need some advice. because this car has to last another 5 years..

Slapping bondo on it will not fix it. You have to get rid of the rust entirely 1st, before you can move on to repairing it. How extensive is the rust? Also through rust is the worst. Really the only good way to fix it is to cut out the rusted part and add new metal to it.

kill the rust before you bondo it so the bondo will have something to hold on to. lemme do some lookin and i can find you what i use. its just called rust remover gel, its really strong stuff but it works great. a light grinding after rust removal is good to get to the good metal again. LIGHT GRINDING, you can do alot of damage with a grinder... trust me i know ^_^

im sure there are more experienced people on occ but im just telling you what ive been succesful with.

EDIT: not exatcly what i was lookin for... http://shop.offroaders.com/page.php/rust.htm

but there you go

and a guide http://doityourself.com/autorepair/smallru...otsmodelcar.htm

Edited by Onyks

in the one place its gown through the mettle.. its the place at the weal well, were it kind of makes a 90* angle with the body and the mettle.. so salt gets trapped up thre.. and just sits.. it can easily be broken off.. but i don

ya.. well. .the problem comes down to money.. i dont want to spend $$$ on a car thats going to be here for 5 years or so.. when i get out of college and get my first job.. i am getting a NICE car.. but body shop is out of the question.. i have allready got a quote of 430 dollars for all the rust.. and trust me.. thre is not even that much..

i will post pictures tomarrow.. so you can better see it

pics would be great... preferrably pics of the SEVERE stuff. we know that you can just redo the easy stuff, especially since you apparently have some grinding knowledge. post the pics of all of it and detail the severe stuff and lets go from there. PM me if you want :)

if ur willing to tka ethe time do what i did on my accord that had trhe notorious honda rust spot

sand dang the area until it appears that all thye rust is gone, check this very well

get the rustolium primer, mask off the area and do a few coats, sanding it do so it is smooth between each coat

color match ur car and mask off a larger area, so u can blend in the new paint your going to apply, do the same thing, few coats, sanding between, almost like painting a case

clearcoat, same deal with the sanding

you need to take your time with this, if u do it right only people who stare at it on end will be able to tell, and really only you and the people here :) will know

id take pics but i sold the car a while ago for a 97 bonneville, but it came out great, the dealer couldnt tell it was touched up and i doubt the new owner would be able to either, a year after i did it, there was still no evidence of rust

yeah, i think igred would know about that well because he has 4 trucks if i am right

and also, i would personally go ahead and take sheet metal than bondo when you take out rust, if your talanted enough, and if the rust is that bad

1st and 3rd pics should be easy to clean and bondo

middle pic is pretty shot, that metal is junk. id clean all the rust and then whatever is hanging loose just cut off and smooth it out. it wont look good but neither does rusted through metal.

this is of course the cheap way, the smart way would be get it fixed in a shop. in any case you need to get all the rust off so it doesnt get any worse.

Edited by invidious