Lesser Known Games That You Love

spathalogic

Have a windows game that you love, but you know is not very well-known? This is the thread you should list that game in ;). Feel free to give a short description of the game, a link to the game's website, and feel free to discuss the game(s) here.

The games may be retail, shareware, demos, trials, or whatever have you, just list 'em as long as you consider them a little(or exorbitantly large) pearl in the vast sea of games ;).

I'm sure some of you have seen me posting about this game before- it is called Escape Velocity: Nova. It is the third in a series and a 30-day limited trial of the game may be downloaded. I consider it a top-down single player open role playing game. EV:N is set in outerspace and is a futuristic game.

I enjoy it because it allows many possibilities of gameplay- one can be a space trader, telepath, pirate, rebel, 'policeman,' or even a freelancer. There are seven main storyline threads (only one can be completed per character), multiple side threads, and a plethora of downloadable modifications called 'plug-ins' that add features to the game- these range from full conversions to one-weapon addons.

My recent addiction has been spent in the world of Mount & Blade. I absolutely love this game! (it's developed by a guy and his wife which is quite cool in my opinion) It is somewhat similar to EV:N in that one can be almost anything but there are restrictions to what you can attack and the interface is quite different. I consider it a single player medieval first/third person open rpg. A demo of the game may be downloaded but it is limited in most features.

List of facts:

1) Similar to EV:N, it allows you to control groups of AI allies to combat enemy AI opponents.

2) There are two warring factions in the lands.

3) There is a 'world map' and a 'battle screen' area; both are in realtime.

4) Parties of soldiers on the world map are represented by one-person avatars. When two opposing parties meet, the battle screen emerges and allows you and your allies to fight side-by-side against enemy swordsmen.

5) The name comes from the fact that you can mount horses and use swords.

Erm... well, that's it for today- I'm a bit tired(see: lazy)so I apologize if what I've written isn't very fluid. I enjoy any and all feedback recieved, and I do hope that this thread doesn't drop to the bottom in a matter of hours with no posts ;).

Edited by Instag0

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Independence War 2 Edge of Chaos

You are a space pirat, who is after a corprate entity (Mass) for killing your father in a back water solar system. Its like the old west, but with space pirates, and its LONG. Ive had it for 5 years, and am only like 20% done with the game. (Mostly because Im lazy), But it looks beautiful. Like if it were made last year or something. It has beautiful cinematics and everything a good game should have GameSpot gave it a 9 out of 10, so the only reason I can see for it not taking off is bad marketing. If it were brand new, it would probably be like $50. I found it for $1 at http://www.starcdrom.com/product.php?productid=354

Ive never done buisness with them so I dont know if its lagit, but it looks clean.

Most of the time I don't have the time to get into big games, so most of my favorites are small time killers. These make it easy to pause and get back to work (ya right). It's nice that these work under wine too!

Two of my favorite windows games are 3DCubes 1.5 (freeware), and DopeWars (shareware). Ya, they are old - SHUT UP. ;)

3dcubes: http://www.dcee.net/Files/New/ (about 1/2 way down the page - search for it)

I dont know if anyone's played this, its pretty old and my cd broke so i cant play it anymore, but i used to LOVE Septerra Core. I dont know if this or this is the official page. Moo? ^_^

OMG i just found the 7up coolspot game, i used to LOOOVEEE that when i was 5-6 lol. This is the first time ive played it since then, but omg i cant play at 160 or 320 resolution ^_^

OMG, the Journeyman Project - Presents Turbo.. is the best game ever made PERIOD.. EVER

its so fun.. i love that game.. its so fun..

anyway.. correction.. the other game is called Jets'n'Guns by rake in grass

its really a good game.. download the trial, and see for yourself.. but if you can ... buy it because its so much fun..

I don't know how well known these are... but oh well. A couple of my friends play Shattered Galaxy (Starcraft rip-off? tons of people online). I used to spend outrageous amounts of time playing Crimsonland (top-down shooter, the GTA 1/2 view). I need to install that again. hmmm...... Oh yeah, I almost forgot Minesweeper ;). Maybe I'll make a thread about best minesweeper times later. Or maybe not.

i remember.. this game came with my packard bell legend. it was a 75Mhz computer, that was top of the line. with 1 mb of video mem expandibal to 2 mb, and 16 mb of ram or something with a HUGE 800Mb hd.. and a 4X cd rom drive.. WOW..

ya.. i love this game.. im gana install it tomarrow and play it again..

EDIT: lets not all forget kings quest.. "price alexander of *huckup* daventry" FOOL! youve been eathing thoes mints again"