Sign in to follow this  
jonnoyeo111

Liquidmetal...

They should incorporate this into CPU HSF's. Does anybody have it on their video card? If so....wat kind of temps u getting? I'd really like to see the possiblities for CPU's. hmm...

if im not wrong, they're still in the process of making one for CPU but im not so sure about the details.. but i bet its gonna be expensive :P

from what I have heard so far liquid metal cooling hasn't impressed me much.

from what I have heard so far liquid metal cooling hasn't impressed me much.

482993[/snapback]

Ditto on that. Heavy Metal, on the other hand, impresses me greatly.

spinal%20tap%201993.jpg

It said it cools better then heatpipes, and even better then water cooling! Strap on a high cfm fan and you may be able to stay ambient even overclocked - what is there to not like? :D

**edit** how it works, from front page site http://www.nanocoolers.com/technology_liquid.php ...electromagnetic pump to silently pump the liquid metal :drool:**edit**

What exactly is the liquid pumping through that thing?

Hopefully, it's not mercury, but that would be very, very effective, but very, very expensive, and very, VERY toxic.

I'm sure it's just a plain old water additive, but I'm really curious to know where I can find this additive, because I hear it's very effective.

at E3 there was that liquid metal cooled gfx card, i forget the url, but ill find it,

Just about any liquid metal will be highly toxic.

483050[/snapback]

Not that one. Nontoxic liquid metal with boiling point at 2000 degrees:

"The liquid metal is non-flammable, non-toxic and environmentally friendly"

Not that one. Nontoxic liquid metal with boiling point at 2000 degrees:

"The liquid metal is non-flammable, non-toxic and environmentally friendly"

483054[/snapback]

Dude, that's a load of crap.

The only metal (including transition elements) that is liquid at these temperatures is mercury (Hg sub2). All of the mercury amalgamates at temperatures around STP are slightly malleable solids or mildly amorphous.

Technically, this company can call their cooling product whatever they want, even if it is not a metal. The liquid may actually be a solution that is more viscous than water, containing some sort of chemical with water as a solvent, but not actually a metal.

I know I made all of this sound complicated, but that's because it is. If they are saying that it is non-toxic, then chances are, the chemical is NOT a metal, and is NOT mercury or some other amalgamate.

I know I made all of this sound complicated, but that's because it is. If they are saying that it is non-toxic, then chances are, the chemical is NOT a metal, and is NOT mercury or some other amalgamate.

483064[/snapback]

That's exactly what I thought when reading about it. If it's non-toxic, it's not liquid metal.

Dude, that's a load of crap.

The only metal (including transition elements) that is liquid at these temperatures is mercury (Hg sub2). All of the mercury amalgamates at temperatures around STP are slightly malleable solids or mildly amorphous.

Technically, this company can call their cooling product whatever they want, even if it is not a metal. The liquid may actually be a solution that is more viscous than water, containing some sort of chemical with water as a solvent, but not actually a metal.

483064[/snapback]

Yeah, galinstan is liquid at room temperature and quite safe (compared to mercury). I have a vial of it on my desk. fun stuff.

make your own, it is 68.5% Ga, 21.5% In, 10% Sn or you can buy it online.

How about that?