Cell Processors

Well, I was a bit skeptical about the incredible power that cell processors will supposedly have, but after reading a lengthy article in Business 2.0, I'm a believer. The potential power of cell processors will massacre anything being developed by Intel or AMD right now (unless they have their own secret cell processors in development). *almost off-topic* I'm an Xbox fan, and I had planned to get an Xbox360 (what a dumb name...) and pass up the PS3, like I did with their predecessors. But now, I think that I might wait for the PS3 instead (if they fix the terrible controllers). Maybe I'll get rich and buy both... or maybe I'll use that money to buy a new BMW! :lol:

So, what are your thoughts on cell processors?

Well if you look at the actual power of the X360 vs PS3, your really not going to notice any difference in games. I'll agree though, once cell processors become more pracitcal and developers get used to the new architecture than it will be worth buying. I'd rather have the X360 though simply because its online play is unparalleled.

Since the XBox 360 (I agree - stupid name) has a triple-core PowerPC chip, I think they are using a new generation of existing hardware types. IIRC, the cell processors is a totally new architecture (sp?), and I'm guessing that advances to this type of tech is going to take off like crazy and be the Next Big Thing ©.

If a generation-1 platform is comparable to an established 5th generation platform, I think we got some huge advances coming when more people start working on this.

IMO it will be a good 5 years before a cell processor is needed for gaming. Look at Unreal Engine 3, it runs just dandy on the 3 cores-- it will be a while before games need more than that. Especially if you see that the dev systems they are using to make it are only dual core, not 3 cores.

Guest Silenc3

Cell Proccessors are mimicing sales of the 6800 when it first came out.

the 6800 series had Shader Model 3.0, now this was used to get more business because it was "Future Proof" but the smarter ones that didnt buy the card for this reason knew that by the time there are games to use these new shaders there will be a better video card on the market and they will have spent yet again money where they should have saved.

Sony will try to do the same thing with ps3, New dvd (which nearly not a single company can support yet) a new all powerful proccessor (which really is just equal to the xbox360's currect "out of date" proccessors)

And ofcourse to those who wont research into it will get ripped off, cause ofcourse society makes it seam that newer is better.

p.s. I wasnet bashing the 6800's I just needed an example :D

Well, I agree that it will be a long time before games are really able to take advantage of the cell processors, but the potential of these processors is the amazing part. But it won't take a long time because developers need to get used to it (although that is still an important part). I think it will take such a long time because the majority of consumers (console consumers at the moment) do not expect it. If the consumers pushed harder, developers would work their butts off to make full use of the cell processors... and make boat loads of money in the process. I'm still looking forward to the Xbox360 (even though it doesn't sound like it in my first post). You are right, the online play will likely blow away anything we have available right now. However, Sony will have time (probably not very long) to see what works and what doesn't with the "updated" Xbox Live, so they would be crazy not to do something similar. PS3 Live? lol, nevermind. The cell processors's potential won't be unleashed soon enough to give the PS3 a big advantage over the Xbox360 as many people think. Either way, this new technology make me shiver with anticipation. I can't wait for movie-like graphics in games like Oblivion. Off Topic: You know what bugs me? Oblivion is coming out for PS3 too! :angry:

XBox = = 3 cores

x2 + Intel dual core = = 2 cores

cell processor = = new arch.

Game dev making multithreaded games for PC then porting them to XBox? Seems like it will be easier, ie cheaper, to port games form PC to XBox than PC to PS3. So game maybe XBox will get more game title than PS3 for the first few years until cell catches on?

XBox = = 3 cores

x2 + Intel dual core = = 2 cores

cell processor = = new arch.

Game dev making multithreaded games for PC then porting them to XBox? Seems like it will be easier, ie cheaper, to port games form PC to XBox than PC to PS3. So game maybe XBox will get more game title than PS3 for the first few years until cell catches on?

485269[/snapback]

According to the article that i read, the cell processor for the PS3 is a 9-core CPU. Yeah, nine. But I suppose that those cores are implemented in a different manner than a regular dual- or triple-core proc.

EDIT: Are you a programmer? "=="? lol