Hard Drive Help

I need some advise what is the most reliable maker of hard drives?

What is a good / decent price to pay for a 80gig and do you know any good sites/ or stores to buy from?

well i have never had a problem w/ a Western Digital. i have 3 SATA WD 80Gb drives and they've been great. I have also owned 2 WD IDE drives but sold them back in dec w/ a rig. At work we have had alot of problems w/ Maxtor lately. Must have been a bad batch of drives or soemthing cuz all the drives that have failed (at leaste 4) have been the same model.

seagate makes the best hardrives IMO I have one SATA drive that just won't die(thank god!) these things work well and last even better they have really speedy transfer rates as well! a good price to pay would be around 65-75 USD

yea, at work my boss preferrs both Western Digital and Seagate. And he uses ALOT of hard drives. I work with NASA and these ppl install 3 Terrabyte raids like we install 80Gb drives. I even saw 3 Storage silo things that each hold 3700Terrabytes of data for backup and archiving. it was rediculous. (tape drives) But yea, if you go w/ WD or Seagate you'll be set. expect to pay about $65 or so for a SATA 80Gb drive. :)

Guest Raven65

If you ask 20 different people you'll get 20 different answers. I prefer Maxtor. Others prefer Seagate, Hitachi or Western Digital. Mainly go with what you like or what you can afford. compare prices for the same drive in each brand and go with the least expensive to save money. Or just buy a Maxtor. go to Chiefvalue or zipzoomfly or evenPrice Watch type in the drive and the specs in the search and it will give you the best prices out of quite a few competitors.

It seems WD and Seagate are the most reliable, some Maxtor users have luck had their drives might last more than 10 years, but some last only 10 days. Not long ago, 2 of my Maxtor drives blew up, one 120G and one 80G FULL of MP3s..Just imagine the frustration I had.

If you ask 20 different people you'll get 20 different answers. I prefer Maxtor. Others prefer Seagate, Hitachi or Western Digital. Mainly go with what you like or what you can afford. compare prices for the same drive in each brand and go with the least expensive to save money. Or just buy a Maxtor.

482374[/snapback]

Like he said, different answers from diffferent people. If you ask me, I would tell you to stay away from Maxtor like the plague due to the high number of drive failures (no company can avoid this, it's just that I've heard more people complain about Maxtor drives than any other). I personally use Western Digital Drives (gotta love them Raptors) but I have also used Seagate and would highly recommend them. I've heard great things about Samsung drives (mainly from my previous roommate). Regarding Hitachi, I've heard both good things and bad things, but not as many drive failures as Maxtor.

So based on my experience, go with Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, or Hitachi, but steer clear of Maxtor. Of course, that's just my opinion. Like Raven said, ask somebody else and he/she will have the exact opposite opinion of mine.

Of corse as said above we all have different opinions. I have the exact same opinion of just about everyone else saying that maxtor hdd's aren't so good. WD's and seagates r the best choices I think. Tho the big difference between the 2 is that seagate has a 5year warrenty not that you'll need it tho cus that thing will last you way past 6 years even longer. I had a saegate see sig that is now pronounced half dead (only will let me sotre 10mb of data and its a 4 gig WTF) and its lasted 9 years before its half death. My opinoin buy a seagate you won't be disapointed.

Of corse as said above we all have different opinions. I have the exact same opinion of just about everyone else saying that maxtor hdd's aren't so good. WD's and seagates r the best choices I think. Tho the big difference between the 2 is that seagate has a 5year warrenty not that you'll need it tho cus that thing will last you way past 6 years even longer. I had a saegate see sig that is now pronounced half dead (only will let me sotre 10mb of data and its a 4 gig WTF) and its lasted 9 years before its half death. My opinoin buy a seagate you won't be disapointed.

482828[/snapback]

Wonder if I have the same 4GB you have right there... (Medalist 4321)

ad0: 4103MB <ST34321A> [8894/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

It's been running 24/7 in my cupboard for a good few years now.... and it's second hand from my friend.

I just got a couple of 200GB WD's for myself. Thankfully they don't seem to vibrate like crazy like the 160GB I put in my cousins computer. My old 80GB Maxtor has been passed on to my brother. That's been running for a good 2 years 24/7 now without any problems.

Wonder if I have the same 4GB you have right there... (Medalist 4321)

ad0: 4103MB <ST34321A> [8894/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

It's been running 24/7 in my cupboard for a good few years now.... and it's second hand from my friend.

I just got a couple of 200GB WD's for myself. Thankfully they don't seem to vibrate like crazy like the 160GB I put in my cousins computer. My old 80GB Maxtor has been passed on to my brother. That's been running for a good 2 years 24/7 now without any problems.

482958[/snapback]

Yes U do and an update to my 4 gig Medalist 4321 its alive. I'm not sure wat it was all I did was go to the cprompt type format G: and it told me the volume was in use and if i wanted to dismount the volume I said yes and it it started formatting. It gave me an error saying the hdd was too big for fat (for some reason it somehow became fat after my comp crashed from an overclock) so I typed format G: /fs:fat32 and volia it reports the correct amont of space on the hdd.

The point is this hdd is 9 years old so go buy a seagate lol.

Yes U do and an update to my 4 gig Medalist 4321 its alive. I'm not sure wat it was all I did was go to the cprompt type format G: and it told me the volume was in use and if i wanted to dismount the volume I said yes and it it started formatting. It gave me an error saying the hdd was too big for fat (for some reason it somehow became fat after my comp crashed from an overclock) so I typed format G: /fs:fat32 and volia it reports the correct amont of space on the hdd.

The point is this hdd is 9 years old so go buy a seagate lol.

483510[/snapback]

I can second(third?Fourth?) Seagate drives. My 40gig seagate barracuda has been running strong for about 4 yrs already. Yes, should be time for an upgrade, but I dont game much or store movies - I still have over 25gigs free on a 40 gig drive :D. Most of that is mp3s. I just want higher transfer rates(I know its hurting my scores :( ).