Sign in to follow this  
vyroburn

Building Hardcore Workstation

Ok guys i need some opinions, I am building a computer for my boss at work, What he wants is the faster single processing system he can get, He wants a vapochill or prometia. for shure So give me mobo's, Ram, and processor combos.... ordering soon hurry my children.

i thought you ment that he wanted a computer faster that a single core system.

athlon 64 3800

motherbaord

2 gig of ram

X800 xl

Wd HDD 320 gigfor ~ 200 $

yo could but two for a raid

just some cheap case

PSU

DVD burner

DVD CD ROM

LCD monitor

i don't know the cost of this computer but it will be ver nice, i can tell you that. if it is too mauch jsut take out the x800 xl of lcd monitor or 2 gig or ram for someting cheaper

hope this helps

Whats he gonna do with it, an x800xl would be about as much use to me at work as a sixth toe

482185[/snapback]

Same for any sort of phase change cooling, seems odd that he would need that for work.

He is just very interested in overclocking and he will be tons of number crunching and remote assistance and things of this sort, its really not a need issue its just a want and we have the money so he wants to do it. So basically is every geeks dream having enough government funded money to buy the dream machine they would like so its basically for fun !!!! give me some more ideas, when i mean hardcore i mean hardcore lots of expensive stuff

How much money does he have?

I would say if he wants TOP of the line..

AMD fx55

Asus a8n SLI

2-4gigs Crucial ballistix

Plextor CD ROM/burner

Plextor DVD R/RW + - dual layer

2x WD raptors RAID 0

2x seagate 400gb 7200rpm RAID 1 for backup of important work files.

2x BFG 6800 Ultra 512mb - if he doesnt need that much gfx power spring for a set of GT's or 2x 6600gts.

PCPower and cooling TURBO-COOL 850 SSI B:)

Asetek Vapochill

That would be the best current system, however IMO it would be best to wait up for the AMD dual cores and ATI's Multi card technology.

namakan

How much money does he have?

I would say if he wants TOP of the line..

AMD fx55

Asus a8n SLI

2-4gigs Crucial ballistix

Plextor CD ROM/burner

Plextor DVD R/RW + - dual layer

2x WD raptors RAID 0

2x seagate 400gb 7200rpm RAID 1 for backup of important work files.

2x BFG 6800 Ultra 512mb - if he doesnt need that much gfx power spring for a set of GT's or 2x 6600gts.

PCPower and cooling TURBO-COOL 850 SSI B:)

Asetek Vapochill

That would be the best current system, however IMO it would be best to wait up for the AMD dual cores and ATI's Multi card technology.

namakan

482580[/snapback]

^ Great gaming/benching rig, but a P4 EE will outperform it in multitasking, and number crunching work - SLI will be completely useless too :P. I would say the dual core intels, but I dont know too much about them except that hyperthreading is disabled...isnt that counter productive???The AMD dual cores dont show much improvement in anything yet because the lack of multithreaded apps, but they get ~40-60% higher then the single core counterpart in programs that do support them!. That PSU makes me drool, but the PC P&C 510 will more then suffice for a desktop computer :D

Haha some good points puck...maybe I was more building for me... :P;)

well if he is doing mainly number stuff...a p4ee is a good idea yes. Although if the apps he using support 2cpu's then dual xeons/opterons might be a good idea.

I just had the impression this would be more of a 'fun' system for him.

namakan

Haha some good points puck...maybe I was more building for me... :P  ;)

well if he is doing mainly number stuff...a p4ee is a good idea yes. Although if the apps he using support 2cpu's then dual xeons/opterons might be a good idea.

I just had the impression this would be more of a 'fun' system for him.

namakan

482637[/snapback]

In my rush about the new dual core cpus i completely forgot multi cpu boards :D. A multi opteron rig would be great :)