Help: System Won't Boot!

Deathwish238

I've been working on this problem for sometime...about 3 weeks. Here's the situation. I made a brand new computer. Everything is a new except for the three hard drives, DVD-RW, and PSU. The PSU is a 300W Forton. I knew it wasn't enough power to run everything so I didn't connect the 3rd HD or any extra fans. The system was running well until I installed a new 500W Forton PSU, another stick of OCZ PC4200 RAM, and connected the 3rd HD. Now the computer will say(ASUS boards talk to you) "Now booting from operating system" and then sit at a black screen. I have tried almost everything thinkable: swapped in old hardware, disconnected everything but essentials, different video card(x800), different RAM, Booting from Windows CD, resetting CMOS. I am not oc'ed and I cannot boot into Safe Mode because the system does not get that far into the booting sequence. Now what I've had the most success with is booting from Knoppix. I am able to get online and do the basics with it. But I do not know what to do from there since my knowledge of Linux is nothing. :huh:

So know you know my situation...what should I do to figure out my problem? My current hypothesis is the motherboard as I do not see what else it could be. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm not sure if you can see my sig but this is my system:

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz @ 2.4GHz

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

XFX Geforce 6600GT

1024 MB(512x2) OCZ PC4200 @ 2-2-2-6

360GB (160,80,120) Western Digital 7200 RPM

NEC 16x DVD-RW w/ DL

Antec SLK2600AMB

Edited by Deathwish238

Guest PoopsicleBoy

make sure HDD SMART technology is on. you might have to flash your bios to be able to read the ram. i had a similar problem and those 2 steps fixed it. also on your hdd settings in bios change them from it should say automatic and theres another option. chose that. sorry i forget what its called but that fixed mine right up.

you might have to flash your bios to be able to read the ram. i had a similar problem and those 2 steps fixed it.

481240[/snapback]

I don't get why flashing my BIOS would make the computer read the RAM? I've been using the RAM just fine and I took out the second stick and nothing changed. How should I go about flashing my BIOS w/o windows anyhow?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been working on this problem for sometime...about 3 weeks.  Here's the situation.  I made a brand new computer.  Everything is a new except for the three hard drives, DVD-RW, and PSU.  The PSU is a 300W Forton.  I knew it wasn't enough power to run everything so I didn't connect the 3rd HD or any extra fans.  The system was running well until I installed a new 500W Forton PSU, another stick of OCZ PC4200 RAM, and connected the 3rd HD.  Now the computer will say(ASUS boards talk to you) "Now booting from operating system" and then sit at a black screen.  I have tried almost everything thinkable: swapped in old hardware, disconnected everything but essentials, different video card(x800), different RAM, Booting from Windows CD, resetting CMOS.  I am not oc'ed and I cannot boot into Safe Mode because the system does not get that far into the booting sequence.  Now what I've had the most success with is booting from Knoppix.  I am able to get online and do the basics with it.  But I do not know what to do from there since my knowledge of Linux is nothing.  :huh:

So know you know my situation...what should I do to figure out my problem?  My current hypothesis is the motherboard as I do not see what else it could be.  Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I'm not sure if you can see my sig but this is my system:

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz @ 2.4GHz

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

XFX Geforce 6600GT

1024 MB(512x2) OCZ PC4200  @  2-2-2-6

360GB (160,80,120) Western Digital 7200 RPM

NEC 16x DVD-RW w/ DL

Antec SLK2600AMB

481233[/snapback]

Try taking out the extra stuff you added and see if it boots. If it doesn't try swapping back in your old power supply and see if that works. Worst case you could just try re-installing Windows.