Building A P2/3, Need An Estimate

Dtaylor

I'm probably going to build a pentium 2/3 system. How much will it cost? Here's what I need to get:

Power supply(are these interchangeable)?

motherboard

Processor

CPU cooler (nothing fancy)

Please include approx. shipping amt. also.

I might need a case, I've got some old ones from socket 7s, but I was told that the motherboard wouldn't fit them. Is there somewhere better than ebay to buy these?

Finally, do I have to have a specific power supply to run certain boards?

Is there anyone here that can sell me this equipment REALLY cheap on ebay or somewhere? My maximum is like $30 at the moment (and that includes shipping).

Perhaps, with $30, you could build your own mobo...

id sell you a complete 300mhz computer, but my parents would get pissed off....

keep saving, try for around 100, the worst part will be shipping for the case

I will sell you a celeron 333 (p-2) mobo/cpu/PSU/Ram for $30 + shipping. Or if you have a case that is AT form factor I can sell you a celeron 500 cpu/mobo for an extra $10. That one will accept AT or ATX cases and PSU's. :P

okay, hold up here guys. Dtaylor, I want you to read this and think about what I'm getting at here. this is not an insult or yelling at you. I'm offering you some things to think about here.

first off is the concept of diminishing returns. what this means is, that you're putting in more than your going to get back. sure building a cheap PII or PIII system now is going to be cheap. But how long will that hold you over before the age of stuff starts to show and suddenly you're right back where you started?

why not try a different approach? a bare bones kit perhaps? These are some examples of what you could get. There are other vendors who offer similar products... so shop around on it. But a note to these, they come WITH the CPU, ram, motherboard, case and power supply. You could just move your hard drive, Cdrom, and floppy over to it from your old comp (those things haven't changed thier interface). heck for $300 you could have an athlon 64 system. add a nicer hard drive at a later date, add in an AGP card at a later date... but at least the core of your system would be up to date and viable for future needs.

just some things to think about... nothing else.

Guest Raven65

Bro, you'll never get that stuff fo 30 bucks. Save up some money, Plus not many people have those mobo's and processors. try dumping goods.com and they might have a free processor. I have an oc'ed 333 to 450 mhz and an old asus mobo. but i would want 20 just for that + shipping.

Hmmmm... a budget? <_<

Well I built an Intel PIII 667 system for...

* $50.00 - Case, M/board, 48x CDrom, 3.5" Fdd, PSU, H/sink & fan & CPU

* $5.00 - K/board & PS2 mouse

* $30.00 - 10Gb ATA66 HDD

* $20.00 - 64Mb PC-100 Sdram

* $20.00 - 15" XVGA monitor

A princely total of $125.00 AUD, all sourced from swapmeets etc. I'm sure parts are far cheaper overthere in the US/CAN region ;)

On the other hand, I built a PII equivalent SS7 combo for...

* $0.00 - Case & PSU (surplus)

* $0.00 - Keyboard & mouse (surplus)

* $0.00 - CPU Upgrade (surplus)

* $5.00 - 40x CDrom

* $5.00 - M/board, CPU & H/sink + fan

* $10.00 - 32Mb of PC-100 SDram

* $10.00 - 4Gb HDD

* $20.00 - 15" XVGA monitor

Total - $50.00 AUD

M/board details can be viewed in this thread, modded (free surplus) case thread can be viewed here

BTW eBay prices are driven by what people are prepared to pay for a particular item, not it's 'actual' value... there are bargains to be had, but many rip offs too! ;)

I'm probably going to build a pentium 2/3 system. How much will it cost? Here's what I need to get:

Power supply(are these interchangeable)?

motherboard

Processor

CPU cooler (nothing fancy)

Please include approx. shipping amt. also.

I might need a case, I've got some old ones from socket 7s, but I was told that the motherboard wouldn't fit them.  Is there somewhere better than ebay to buy these?

Finally, do I have to have a specific power supply to run certain boards?

Is there anyone here that can sell me this equipment REALLY cheap on ebay or somewhere?  My maximum is like $30 at the moment (and that includes shipping).

480782[/snapback]

Question when you mean computer, do you mean bits of cheap metal, resistors, silicon and plastic prooly built that would accept a minimum of user input and take a long time to process it into some form or dimmly lit characters on an old moniter, or would you rather save up a bit more to get something that you can actually be proud of? Anyways, if you could build a computer for 30$ which i seriously doubt, what could you possibly expect it to do?

Man, the kid wants a $30 comp! I know I'm not the only one who's got a working comp in the basement that he would let go for $30! He didn't ask for comments like "Dude you'll never build a comp for $30" or "buy an Athlon 64 instead" ( although if he could afford it I'm sure he would ;) ) So help the guy out.