System Problems

Just put together a new system for a co-worker specs are...

Asus A7n8X mobo

AMD Athlon XP 2700 Tbred (333)

256x2 OCZ PC2700 RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro

WD 40GB HDD

350W Real power Cooler Master PSU

Heres whats going on. I turn the system on and about 5-6 seconds later it powers its self down. No beeps, no video feed, just turns off. Any ideas of what might be going on. I dont have any other AMD CPUs or mobos lying around so I cant test em. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Raven65

sounds like a wire is not grounded or it's loose or your ram might be bad.

Update:  If I take the CPU out and turn the puter on, it runs...when the CPU is in it shuts down after 4-5 seconds.  Bad CPU?

479993[/snapback]

Does the screen show anything during the 5-6 seconds when its on w/ the CPU? Is the 4-pin connector in?(I have forgotten that before!) What about the CMOS jumper? Some boards come with it set on "clear".

Nothing shows and its an AMD processor so it doesnt need the 12V rail. CMOS jumper is good.

479995[/snapback]

Wrong, they do, always plug in the 4 Pin Connector.

Where? The only power connector on the mobo is the ATX power connector. The only time I have used the 4 pin square connector is in my P4 Northwood system. Its a socket A CPU...on an A7N8X mobo

Edited by Cyberbeer

Where? The only power connector on the mobo is the ATX power connector.  The only time I have used the 4 pin square connector is in my P4 Northwood system.  Its a socket A CPU...on an A7N8X mobo

480001[/snapback]

Uhhhhhhhhh OK :blink:

GD it. The computer I am building now is a Socket A, 462 with a Tbred 2700+ mounted in a A7n8X mobo. Does anyone know wtf the problem is. Again with the CPU out it turns on and does not shut off. With the CPU in it comes on and shuts down 5 seconds later. There is NO 4 pin square 12V rail connector on this mobo. I thought only the newer AMD's needed this.

I did not mean for it to sound as if my P4 was a Socket A i am a hopeless idiot what i cannot get for free i need to cheat to get. Please help me!!!

Nobody knows?

Edited by Cyberbeer

Have you tried everything out of the board but the vid card and 1 stick of memory? No drives attached only the vid, cpu, and ram? There is no 4 pin auxillary power plug on this mobo. There is one on DFI's Lanparty and infinity NF2 boards but not on the A7N8X.

This may not be what you want to hear, but I've encountered that problem before, and here is my fix that's worked almost every time. disassemble everything. Take the CPU, RAM expansion cards--everything off the mobo, unplug all wiring to the mobo, and take the mobo out of the case. Now put it back in, and slowly, carefully reconnect everything. This solves my problem 90% of the time because I've usually missed something in the assembly process :D