Just An Fyi For Dfi Owners

just thought I'd give you guys a heads up here... I finished putting my Athlon 64 4400+ X2 system together last night. the NDA prohibits saying much outside of that on the chip... however the motherboard has been released. so it's fair game to tell you guys there are going to be some BIG huddles to overcome. the Lanparty boards (yes board, I've got it acting stupid on 3 different models) all seem to have problems with the new chip. I thought maybe it was the chip since my other cpus behave just fine... but no. the MSI K8N neo2 went right to work with it.

hopefully this issue will be resolved before the mid july mass market release AMD is plotting.

Edited by bigred

Wasn't it mentioned someplace that some boards might require a BIOS flash before swapping out the single core with dual core chips?

I just bought a Tyan S2882 and found out right after I bought it that it will not support dual core because of power issues.

According to Tan, in order for an existing board to support dual core CPUs it must have the proper VRM and a BIOS update. (Not that I would ever stand a snowball's chance of affording dual core CPUs for that board).

most opteron boards are going to have that same problem.

cchalogamer, might be a good enough reason to take the Gigabyte board out of the box and give her a shot later today.

most opteron boards are going to have that same problem.

cchalogamer, might be a good enough reason to take the Gigabyte board out of the box and give her a shot later today.

479849[/snapback]

Yea - I just found this little tidbit on the AMD site -

Dual-Core AMD Opteron