Which Drive To Get?

exeter_acres

Well.... I had a drive in my RAID setup die (thank goodness for regular backups!!!)

and for now I am going to drop RAID....

curious what is the latest and greatest in 160-200GB range, SATA 150 interface

(are SATA II drives backward comapatible?)

I really don't have brand loyalty..

I've been around long enough to have at least one Maxtor, Seagate, and WD fail on me...

Never used IBM/Hitachi....

any thoughts or ideas??

Cheers

P.s. Have you done a backup recently??

I've had the best luck with WD, but most of the brand names are decent-ish. Just make sure you get a warranty.

Do yourself a huge favor, and NEVER EVER EVER EVER get any drive from IBM or Hitachi. Did I mention EVER? IBM has awesome technology patents for storage technology, but their drives are the worst known to man. I'd sooner buy a hard drive from Ford than one that says IBM or Hitachi.

Note, IBM doesn't make drives anymore, and hasn't for a while - they are all made by other companies that puts IBM's name on it; primary mfgr is Hitachi.

Edited by cybergrunt69

seagate

1. quite

2. reliable

3. 5 year warrenty that you cant beat

4. reliable

basicly comes down to opinion and luck but i would go with seagate but some would say WD or w/e the others are ;)

I'd sooner buy a hard drive from Ford than one that says IBM or Hitachi.

479533[/snapback]

Hmm... I DO live in Michigan and my wife works across the street from Ford World Headquarters.... I'll have her pick up one of those Ford harddrives tomorrow! :P

Thanks guys...keep those opinions coming!

The IBM "Deathstar" drives were terrible, but since they sold the business to Hitachi, the quality, IMHO, is no longer an issue. I have several Hitachis and haven't had problems. Seagates are good and quiet and have the 5-yr warranty as mentioned above.

And, yes, SATA II, is backwards compatible with SATA I.

I would say the seagate of your choice. The only drive i have had go south on me was a WD and that was a small 3 gig one on a folding rig. Backups are a way of life...I must have them spread on 3 or 4 computers depending on how far back i went.