Sign in to follow this  
CoolMaster

What Are Processors Made Out If?

Silicon only becomes a semi-conductor once it has been doped with impurities during the layering process.

I knew I remembered reading on intels website that silicon was some sort of semiconductor, it'd have to be

technically it's not really a semiconductor even if it's got impurities. the impurities are the semiconductors.

A cpu is mostly made up of transistors. Transistors are made of two different types of doped silicon. When you put these together in the right way it is a transistor. A cpu is mostly a whole bunch of small transistors put together in the right way so that it works as a cpu. So a cpu is mostly doped silicon.

Guest Raven65

processors are made out of sugar spice and everything nice, the same way women are. they drive you nuts.

:D

bah, youll know its silicon when you smell it melting... :P

You can make CPUs with no silicon. Silicon is just the most common and hence cheapest sutable material.

Germanium and gallium arsenide are also reasonably widely used (not in PCs).

You don't need impurities to make semiconductors conductive. Light and magnetic fields can do this as well, but this is beside the point when talking about most forms of integrated circuts.

If you are talking about the CPU as a whole and not just the die, most of it will be the packaging that holds the die.

My A64 was about 75% copper before I cut off the heatspreader, now the PCB is the largest part of it (possibly fiber glass).

Edited by oralpain