What Verson Of Windows To Get?

fire_storm

Fool! There is NEVER a FINAL WINDOWS RELEASE!!

If you want to struggle with lousy driver support and lots of bugs, go ahead and get it now. The usual hotfixes and patches will bring your version up to date periodically.

Just like with XP...just when you get it freshly installed, it's at least 6 months behind on patches, so you gotta go online and rectify the situation.

Same with the 64 bit version.

So go ahead...if you dare!

Just go with Windows Xp Home. Cheaper than Professional and a lot lot lot lot lot better than LINUX! which is crap ha ha ha :P

481505[/snapback]

Yes, XP home is cheaper than Pro, but it's cause it's broken out of the box. Since I have to use XP at work but use Linux at home, I'd have to say that XP is not better. It does some things better, some things worse. With either OS, you just have to be able to tell the machine how you want it to run, not the other way around. It's all a matter of personal preference, cash flow (MS != cheap), and whether you're smart enough to tell the OS how it should run on your computer....

Well i have exprienced windows 95/98/ME/XP and i found them simple and easy to use. But quite recently i got a CD for Mandrake 8 and decided to install it on my tester pc. OMFG i hated it. :P

I know thats its a good alternative if you cannot afford windows. But i feel its defiently more wise to go the windows route!

Alex

Guest Flashstar

Don't use Mandrake. I have heard that Mandrake is ****, so go with Fedora Core 3 instead or wait for 4.

OMFG i hated it. :P

481567[/snapback]

Probly cause you can't use it properly I expect?

Don't use Mandrake. I have heard that Mandrake is ****, so go with Fedora Core 3 instead or wait for 4.

481570[/snapback]

Don't use FC3, it's **** :) Use Slackware! Don't use Slackware, it's ****! Use Gentoo! Don't use Gentoo............... you get the picture :)

Yes, Windows is designed to be easy to use. They don't want you to know how it works, they just want it to be able to easily open MSN to get your hotmail and Media Player to rip all your CDs and manage your wma/wmv collection. It's made so that a clueless grandma can use it without needing a master's degree in geek (no offence intended to anyone's grandma).

Linux distro's seem to be trying to make that same move, but it's slower because the apps are open source, and the OS/apps actually have some type of security built into them. Which version to use is a personal preference. BTW, if you want to compare Mandrake to XP, at least get a current version (now at 10.1, ver8 is a bit old).

You had to learn to use windows, and if you're honest, you most likely had the same complaints. There's a learning curve to get the hang of any new OS - but it's easier if you're technical and can understand what the computer is doing instead of letting MS run the whole crap thing. Running linux is still considered geeky - and that you have to be a computer geek to use it.

***eAts his Words***

Well im gonna get the new version of mandrake and try it, didnt want to sound bias but i really found it hard to use, i cant get used to the press the icon once and it loads arghhhhhhhh :(

Sowi :(

Alex

We use SuSE in my major at the University. One of my professors beleives that if you can learn to use Linux as well as you can use Windows, you'll never go back. He also suggests Madrake in addition to SuSE if you want a variety.

Probly cause you can't use it properly I expect?

Don't use FC3, it's **** :) Use Slackware! Don't use Slackware, it's ****! Use Gentoo! Don't use Gentoo............... you get the picture :)

481572[/snapback]

I have tried to run a flavor of Linux a couple of times.

each time, when I went looking for answers to problems, I got the same, no use this, no use that, no this one does that better, but this one does that other thing better.

OK, so linux is free, but I find that you often get what you pay for.

It seems one of the better Linux version out there is the $50 Red Hat version you "pay" for.

Stick with XP home or XP Pro. I would wait until Win 64 comes out with its second itteration, probably in 18 -24 months before making the jump, but that is me.

CPU_Cooker

Well, since there are eleventeen thousand Linux distro versions, and each with a dozen versions, there's a huge choice, and unfortunately, there's always those that say that whatever problem you have with Linux is 'cause you are using the wrong one. :wacko:

If you wanna try it, cool - just pick one that's fairly popular, has decent "noob" ratings, and see what kind of support is available for each. RH's paid version is good in the sense that you have paid for telephone support.

Back to the original question...

But is this the finall verson or are they going to come out with another verson later this year?

It's their final version in the sense that there's no more beta testing, and they feel it's now "gold" and ready for mass markets. Of course, as with every other release, they will find problems that beta testing didn't, a corporate edition (same serial#,no activation, etc), and OEM builders will want a different version, and etc,etc,etc. So just like the other OS releases they have done, there will be several versions of that release, plus all the patches and service packs to come.

For some reason, people want their system to be stable and run properly, so most people that buy it separate from a new OEM purchase will wait until SP1 comes out for it; others want to be the one with the newest toys on the block. Buying now or later depends on where along that scale you are, and how much you trust MS to get good software out the door on the first release. :lol: