Cpu Problems... I Think

okay, im wondering if your cpu dies, what happens? will the system power up but display no video and not post? or something like that. reason im asking is because that is what my computer is doing. i hear everything power up but i get no display and i dont think it is posting either. I have tested absolutly everything but the proc and everything else works so i think thats where my problem is. i just wanted to check w/ yall and see if it sounds like possible symptoms of a dead cpu. reason i ask is i dont know if maybe w/ a dead proc it will still post or still show display but not start up or what. eh, this sux. the mobo is the MSI Neo2. i think the rig specs are in the sig. (not that it really matters since this is a general question but yea)

no marks. although there was a power surge that fried my mobo and psu. i dropped a screw on the mobo causeing one hell of a short and everything went pop. that prolly took out the cpu w/ it. i have since rma'd the mobo and psu. and tested the returns and they seem to be fine. thats why i think its the cpu. if i rma it, will it be replaced w/ a winchester core or do they not pay attention to that. if so i may wait a bit and see if theyll replace it w/ a venice core haha

Guest Raven65

I would say it's dead. try it in another MoBo if you have one. It could be the MoBo too. Do you get a cmos beep?

first try pulling the cpu out all together. try booting the system. if you get some error beeps then it's the cpu. if you still get nothing.... then you've got some other major problems.

well i dont have a speaker so i dont listen for beeps but i watch the LED thing on the NEO 2 and another led decimal number thing on this abit board i picked up to try a diff mobo. basically, if i pull out the cpu, the abit board tries to boot up, flashes numbers and turns off. w/ the cpu in, it doesnt even post for some reason. its really wierd. i'll prolly just rma the cpu. if its broke, theyll replace it, if its not broke theyll prolly just sent it back. i dont care. i just want this stupid system to work again.

I am having a similar problem, the system I am building starts but shuts down 5 seconds later. No Video, no beeps. If I pull the CPU out the mobo and fans come on and stay on, any ideas?

Guest Raven65

GOTTA be the RAM. Had the same problem about 2 years ago it was the RAM.

GOTTA be the RAM. Had the same problem about 2 years ago it was the RAM.

480307[/snapback]

actually, this problem is a very general one. it is likely that you had the same symptoms, but the way it seems, it is definitely the CPU.

Hey Cyberbeer make sure your CMOS jumper is over the right 2 pins.

I drove a hundred miles to a friend's house as his new computer he had just built would start then just die. He was freaking out!! I walked in took my little sutcher pliers pulled the CMOS jumper and put it on the right 2 pins hit the power button and the problem was solved. So get out your book and review what all you have done. Make sure everything is secure and in it's right place.

WZ

I am having a similar problem, the system I am building starts but shuts down 5 seconds later.  No Video, no beeps.  If I pull the CPU out the mobo and fans come on and stay on, any ideas?

480197[/snapback]

Yes, I had the exact same problem with my mom's system and I replaced the cpu and it fixed it. I'm sure it's your cpu.