Sign in to follow this  
Shadowfactor

1500 Watt Subs

Another thing to think about if you're planning on using a car audio sub is speaker sensitivity. A speaker with a higher sensetivity rating will require less power to reach a certain output/volume level. Instead of wasting money on a large amplifier, get one or two very efficient speakers, and custom build a vented enclosure tuned to the proper frequency for the speaker(s) you're using.

But my recommendation is still to go with a powered HT sub. Velodyne makes a 1000 watt RMS sub, which really hammers, but I can't hear a huge difference between it and my two E250P's. My E250P's were $230 apiece. The Veoldyne runs for about $800-1000 if I remember correctly.

On the subject of power ratings, I've noticed a particularly annoying trend in the PC world. Tigerdirect (and many other merchants) sell $10 speaker sets rated at 300 and 400 watts PMPO. I'm not sure what the PMPO means, but this is incredibly misleading. I had a friend that bought a set from Tigerdirect for about $35. The set he bought was rated at 550 watts PMPO and had two satellites and one sub. It sounded worse than the speakers on my PSP, and that's pretty bad. If anyone knows what "PMPO" means, I'd really like to know :P

ive got 2 audiobahn AW1000Q's in my trunk right now running at 600RMS each. i have 1 of them hooked up 2 my comp too. blow the . out of everything.

PMPO is "Peak Momentary Power Output". Sometimes you may see it as "Peak Music Power Output" though. Just a fancy way to say that it's the peak rating of the system. And of course, an acronym makes it sound very very important!

My friend hooks me up with autobahn subs , His sound really good , His are car speakers. He has 2 1500 watt autobahn that normally cost 500 bucks but his buddy works for Autobahn and he gets them for 150 a piece.

I want some good rap Subs

476978[/snapback]

The way the subs sound is going to depend completely upon the box setup you choose. Just how much space are you willing to sacrifice to get deep bass in your house? In general, car subs are meant to play flat with the gain from being in the cabin of a car, not in a large room.

Also...Audiobahn might suit your needs for "rap" subs, but don't expect them to sound all that great or handle the "1500 watts" that they advertise.

EDIT: BTW...what 500 dollar Audiobahn subs are you talking about? I don't recall any of them costing 500 bucks a piece, even at overpriced dealers like Crutchfield. :glare:

Edited by Thewacokid

I would like to get a new sub , cuz the one with my z-640 isnt too great , I would like to get a 1500 watt sub or 2: 900 watt. I am going to be using my z640 speakers asides the Bass. I get good deals on Car speakers but i have no idea if they will work on a computer and hurt it. I have a 7.1 sound card that is stock on my mobo ? is it possible to do this and maybe use car speakers ??

476489[/snapback]

Im assuming you're talking about max wattage. I suggest just getting a single Alpine Type-R. They're 1000 watts max but they have just about the best sound quality out there. If you're planning on hooking them up to a computer, you'll need to spend a couple hundred bucks on an amp that's around 300 watts RMS. To hook them up isn't too hard. You'll just need something that goes from a headphone jack to 2 RCA connectors. Power is the major problem though. You'll need to figure out how to get 2 raw cables to plug into a wall, and figure some way to regulate the voltage. Wall outlets are 240 volts or something and car batteries are 12 volts but have very high amperage. I really have no idea how you'd actually power a car subwoofer from a computer. For the regular speakers it's the same thing, you'll just need like a 2 or 4 channel amp to hook them up, but you'll also need to power it.

After all that, I just suggest going and getting yourself like a nice 300 dollar 5.1 speaker set. It's a lot easier and you don't need a 1500 watt system on your computer.

Well Whats a good amp brand , Im ganna get a Speical Cheater chip for it and How could I power the Subs off the wall , I might just get 1000 watt computer speakers if i did that do i still need an amp

My friend hooks me up with autobahn subs , His sound really good , His are car speakers. He has 2 1500 watt autobahn that normally cost 500 bucks but his buddy works for Autobahn and he gets them for 150 a piece.

I want some good rap Subs

476978[/snapback]

these are the speakers that crash refered to as "crappy" speakers....those speakers will not handle 1500watts without destorting like mad....they MAY peak at around 100 wats but i bet they cant take more than 500watts RMS efficiently.

I had an audiobahn AW1206T which is a step under the 1500 watt model and it sucked compared to my diamond audio TDX

crazy kids lol...

1.5kW subs? i've worked in nightclubs dj-ing, vj-ing, and sorting out the soundsystems in there, with friends and alongside professional djs... 1.5kW could host a 100-150 person dancefloor easily... and that would be "i can't hear anything but whistling hearing the next day" kinda loud...

1.5kW RMS is just gonna be pure overkill unless you live in a mansion... i've got a 2x 100W RMS sub and it is more than capable of hosting a house party together with some other speakers... i can't turn my amp (2x 100W RMS) above half-way without complaints wherever i live... above halfway and you can hear it outside the house down the street lol

car audio is rated differently to home audio, a lot different... often the power rating is rated in combined MPO or PMPO watts... MPO is somewhat double RMS, and PMPO is just made up by manufacturers to be what the peak could be over a fraction of a second... useless basically...

just to give you an idea of how much 1.5kW is... professional soundsystems used for outdoor "free parties" (basically raves in fields) are ~3kW and a lot of small clubs (300-500) would have a similarly loud system - ie. so loud you can't hear anything apart from someone shouting in your ear...

i have slight tinnitus from loud music... it's not so bad, but it's there... remember not to have it TOO loud ;)

car audio is rated differently to home audio, a lot different... often the power rating is rated in combined MPO or PMPO watts... MPO is somewhat double RMS, and PMPO is just made up by manufacturers to be what the peak could be over a fraction of a second... useless basically...

just to give you an idea of how much 1.5kW is... professional soundsystems used for outdoor "free parties" (basically raves in fields) are ~3kW and a lot of small clubs (300-500) would have a similarly loud system - ie. so loud you can't hear anything apart from someone shouting in your ear...

i have slight tinnitus from loud music... it's not so bad, but it's there... remember not to have it TOO loud ;)

478924[/snapback]

You have to remember that the pro equipment is extremely efficient compared to your standard audio equipment, let alone crappy Audiobahn stuff. Besides, those "1500" watt subs the poster is talking about are rated at 1500 watts peak, 500 rms (I assume those are the ones he's talking about anyway, he won't post a model of the "500 dollar subs for 150 bucks" that he mentioned).

I run about 800 watts rms in my car, and added on to that it's waaay more efficient on the low end (running on 450 watts for the two subs) than most cars, so when I say they only have 450 watts running to them people usually go :blink: . :lol:

Anyway, back on subject: It would be a WHOLE lot more cost efficient to buy a decent home theater sub than to build a box for a car sub (assuming that the poster knows how to design sub enclosures) and try to figure out a good way to power it.

Also, whoever wrote about hooking up a car audio amp in the home...please don't ever touch a craping outlet. The 120/240 volts in your home is AC power, not DC like in a car. You wire anything up made for DC in your house and you will kill it and probably set things on fire.

EDIT: And as far as PMPO goes, I've never seen a piece of car audio or even home audio rated with that bull crap. Usually you see that kind of rating on $15 computer speakers. :P

Edited by Thewacokid

Ok ive changed my mind and Im just ganan lower and get a 900 watt sub for 80 bucks. Now I just need to get a Amp and . , Also I Ganna need a Small Enclosure any Ideas ona good one / how to build one

using car speakers with pc's is so pointless car speakers no way beat seperate amp systems for home, anyway sum of u guys should no wattage means jack . when coming to stereo's u need RMS output

Watts (RMS) is a measurement of watts (root-mean-squared)