Need Some Advice

SlayeR

Alrignt I'm pretty sure I've decided on a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop now my questions are:

- Will this be suitable for a college notebook?

- Now I know that it is definitely powerful enough but is it so much overkill that it will be unhandlable for class(8.6Lbs isn't too bad for me, I think)?

- Also Will 512mb Dual Channel Ram be suitable for this, I will be using the laptop for word processing, movies, and gaming (HL2 and such), or will I need to get 1GB (Ahh, another $200)?

Alrignt I'm pretty sure I've decided on a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop now my questions are:

- Now I know that it is definitely powerful enough but is it so much overkill that it  will be unhandlable for class(8.6Lbs isn't too bad for me, I think)? 

- Also Will 512mb Dual Channel Ram be suitable for this, I will be using the laptop for word processing, movies, and gaming (HL2 and such), or will I need to get 1GB (Ahh, another $200)?

475480[/snapback]

It kind of depends on how much you'll be carrying it around. If it's jus going to sit in your dorm, just get a desktop. If you'll be taking it with you a lot, get something a LOT lighter. My laptop is 7.7 pounds and is killer on the back. Something to carry around needs to be around 5 pounds or lighter. If you're playing games on it, get the 1 gig for sure. Probably cheaper than upgrading later anyway.

i just got a 12" Ibook, however, thats cuz i dont game on my laptop. i game on my desktop. if you gonna be gaming, i guess you have to go w/ a pc. i do recommend something lighter. i went w/ the ibook for portablility. i have 5+ hours of usage time per full battery time, its like 4.9lbs, and only 12". so its small light, and lasts a long time. and its actually really powerful. OS X is a much more responsive OS than windows. only problem is gaming sux. If your going to game, i recommend a desktop. fact is,w/ a laptop that powerful, your gonna have like a 2hour battery time. alot less if your gaming on it. plus its heavy. just keep that in mind. im not saying you have to go w/ apple, but it is an excellent laptop and was less than $1K. :)

yea i agree. i was looking into centrino also. the only reason i went w/ the apple was the pricetag. i got the laptop for $996 shipped and fully featured (still only 4.9lb). only thing it doesnt do is burn dvd's but it can play them and still have about 30-60mins left of battery life :) lol.

- Now I know that it is definitely powerful enough but is it so much overkill that it  will be unhandlable for class(8.6Lbs isn't too bad for me, I think)? 

475480[/snapback]

First off Dell sucks lol....

- It will be ok for college as long as you are careful with it. Remember Dell's are made with cheap parts that are easily breakable.

- Are you a wuss or something? Who complains about carrying around 8.6lbs lol. :P

- 512MB will be plenty, but if you plan to game then forget Dell.

First off Dell sucks lol....

- It will be ok for college as long as you are careful with it. Remember Dell's are made with cheap parts that are easily breakable.

- Are you a wuss or something? Who complains about carrying around 8.6lbs lol. :P

- 512MB will be plenty, but if you plan to game then forget Dell.

476329[/snapback]

I read a review, cant rember where, but that Dell XPS OWNZ for games...!

IT scored 5,200+ on 3D Mark 05, now anything that can score that high, is definatly capable of playing modern games at MAX settings and aa decent resloution.

Altho I aggree with you, Dell is turd, in this case it does not appear so...

even tho...its probably flimsy construction with decent hardware inside? Well, hardware that profomace decent anyways...