'640k Ought To Be Enough For Anybody'

Did Bill Gates really say: '640k ought to be enough for anybody'  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Did Bill Gates really say: '640k ought to be enough for anybody'

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

The favourite signature of old beardy geeks on internet forums and newsgroups, especially the ones who think htat they have a sense of humour. the mighty head of Microsoft apparently uttered this infamous quote long before he knew how much memory his future operating systems were going to hog, and you can find it quoted all over the place. In fact if you run a google search on this quote you will get over 18,000 hits, usually on sites that humourously demonstrate how you can't predict the future. There's just one problem, though, which is none of these sites can offer any evidence of this statement about where, why and to whom it was made.

We asked Microsoft in order to discover the truth once and for all, and a frantic search was conducted. After a week of research, the team responded that it was proving to be 'a puzzle, as lots of sources say he said it, while others say he didn't'. Eventually (a month later), though the head guys in the USA confirmed that 'Bill Gates did not make that statement'. Sorry, but Bill Gats just isn't that stupid.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/gatesivu.htm

Q. Did you ever say, as has been widely circulated on the Internet, "640K [of RAM] ought to be enough for anybody?"

No! That makes me so mad I can't believe it! Do you realize the pain the industry went through while the IBM PC was limited to 640K? The machine was going to be 512K at one point, and we kept pushing it up. I never said that statement

I don't trust Billy. After all, he DID make Windows.

:) :) :)

I think he is trying to cover an embarrasing mistake.

475614[/snapback]

well did he really make it or just steal it from ibm and market it better?

He may have said it, but if he did he wasn't the only one who either said it or thought it was true at that time.

Guest Jeremy

Well...all I know is that if he did say that it would be pretty funny :lol:

I seriously do believe it, even if he claims to have not said it. Over the years, he's said a number of things as "absolute fact" that are known to be wrong (ex: windows is reliable, IE is secure, Linux is a fad). This is just one item that's he'd rather forget about and cover up...

didn't he say that in 1981 where 1 gig of ram is a lot! i dont know. i wasn't even born! LOL! but seriosuly right now ppl will say 1gig of ram is a enough. then a decade later. man 1gig of RAM is so little!

he did say that for sure(i believe) its just he doesn't want to be embarrased

Even if he did that say, he would have been referring to it at the time. Like 640kb of RAM was enough for anyone at that time, whereas today we would say 2GB of ram is enough for anybody etc.... but in the future that will change.