Wireless Network Hotspots

BiPolar

So, I'm in egypt and I can access an unsecured wireless network from my room. However, I don't want someone to know that I'm accessing their connection. Is there a way to do this? I've got my firewall protecting them from accessing me, but I was hoping there was a stealth way for me to use the connection as well.

Figure out what kind of wireless router they are using... probably Linksys or D-link or some other popular brand name. Check and see if they are stupid enough to leave their name and pass on the router as the default which is generally "admin" & "admin". You can usually access their router via 192.168.1.1 (Linksys default), etc... unless they were smart and changed it to something else. If you are able to get inside, you should be able change the settings that might help with what your asking. But if you have your firewall up, more then likely you are gonna be ok. It's not like they can trace where the signal is coming from (your NIC card). Actually, you probably could, but I doubt they would do that. If they are dumb enough to leave the name and pass as the default, good chances you are dealing with someone that doesn't know what they are doing anyway.... and I don't think you need to worry about too much. If I think of another way I'll write again.

Figure out what kind of wireless router they are using... probably Linksys or D-link or some other popular brand name.  Check and see if they are stupid enough to leave their name and pass on the router as the default which is generally "admin" & "admin".  You can usually access their router via 192.168.1.1 (Linksys default), etc... unless they were smart and changed it to something else. If you are able to get inside, you should be able change the settings that might help with what your asking. But if you have your firewall up, more then likely you are gonna be ok.  It's not like they can trace where the signal is coming from (your NIC card). Actually, you probably could, but I doubt they would do that.  If they are dumb enough to leave the name and pass as the default, good chances you are dealing with someone that doesn't know what they are doing anyway.... and I don't think you need to worry about too much.  If I think of another way I'll write again.

475777[/snapback]

Changing their password on them is a good way, but then again, they could always reset the router. If they don't have a password they're probably not smart enough to reset the router.

I've heard of a motherboard designed by hackers that doesn't have a MAC address which seems like it would be good for that kind of thing.'