Sign in to follow this  
berki

Driver Problems

I updated my AC97 drivers from realtek website. After a reboot it says found Multimedia Audio Controller then half way through installing I get the error "The data is invalid". I get no sound out of my computer. I went to regedit and changed the permission for enum/pci to allow all and checked them through advanced setting it made no difference. I re-installed the driver several times and tried older ones no go. Any suggestions? :blink:

windows likes to remember stuff about drivers and hardware even if you do 'delete' them. remember, mr. bill knows better than you what you wanna do with your computer...

anywho, try going back into device manager to delete the hardware, and delete the audio drivers as well. also, in device manager, click on 'view -> show hidden items' to see if there's anything else hiding there. when you reboot right after that, go into the bios and disable the audio hardware. once you get back into windows, go back into the registry and delete the hive (if it exists) that has the audio hardware/driver info. After all that, reboot a time or two, and then re-enable it in the bios and have the driver cd ready. If there's still issues, you may need to delete/move the .inf that corresponds to that hardware so it can't auto-load the drivers for ya.

I updated my AC97 drivers from realtek website. After a reboot it says found Multimedia Audio Controller then half way through installing I get the error "The data is invalid". I get no sound out of my computer. I went to regedit and changed the permission for enum/pci to allow all and checked them through advanced setting it made no difference. I re-installed the driver several times and tried older ones no go. Any suggestions?  :blink:

475093[/snapback]

Boot into safe mode and check for any ghost drivers. Delete them and re-start.

Revert to formatting.... Sheesh :blink:

I'm not sure but check and see if driver cleaner will clean realtek drivers. Not sure what else to do. I'll :google: a bit

I dont get it ... what do you guys do to your computers that you need to format so often??

I have had this PC for well over 1

reformat when changing hardware or a problem comes up. Ive only had to reformat one time because of a virus that I was to lazy to try to get rid of. Some people reformat to change drivers, or reformat if anything at all goes wrong.