Fast Writes + Nf3

I'm sure there's others with this issue. When FW is enabled on your nForce 3 board + 6800 graphics card, do you get pausing and stuttering?

I just tried enabling it again on my board and in 3dmark03 and AQ3 I got a pause, but.. I lowered my graphics card overclock 5MHz and adjusted my 12v rail to 12.10v (I had it set dead on 12v before) and I just got through a whole run of 03 without a pause. Maybe it's power related..? Maybe I just got a lucky run?

Running AQ3 right now... . no pauses yet.... half way through ish......completed test of that no pausing too. Maybe worth giving a go if you have adjustable rails??

I'm sure there's others with this issue. When FW is enabled on your nForce 3 board + 6800 graphics card, do you get pausing and stuttering?

I just tried enabling it again on my board and in 3dmark03 and AQ3 I got a pause, but.. I lowered my graphics card overclock 5MHz and adjusted my 12v rail to 12.10v (I had it set dead on 12v before) and I just got through a whole run of 03 without a pause. Maybe it's power related..? Maybe I just got a lucky run?

Running AQ3 right now... . no pauses yet.... half way through ish......completed test of that no pausing too. Maybe worth giving a go if you have adjustable rails??

473228[/snapback]

The performance from fastwrites is negligable at best, and it does affect oc stability. I always just leave it disabled. The higher oc will more then compensate for the ~1-2% boost of fastwrites :D(its sideband addressing that is the really important AGP setting)

It appeared to give me an extra 4000 points, from 62k to 66k in AQ3. Not much (if anything) for 3dmark though.

3dmark05 paused though :( Meh, guess I will have to go back and turn it off soon.

Seems that way, yes. With slightly lower than usual graphics card clocks too...

EDIT: But yeah, does seem a little strange. I'll do some testing to make sure it's FW that did that... fixing someone elses computer right now :(

It appeared to give me an extra 4000 points, from 62k to 66k in AQ3. Not much (if anything) for 3dmark though.

3dmark05 paused though :( Meh, guess I will have to go back and turn it off soon.

473239[/snapback]

LOL with fast writes OFF for me it stutters and pauses in 3dmark03...

I recently went through that hell too, I feel your pain.

For me it was heat related. Pausing/stuttering went away when I replaced my stock heatsink with an NV silencer (yesterday). Temps lowered nearly 20C both idle and load :)

Perhaps reseat your heatsink, make sure it's making good contact?

I recently went through that hell too, I feel your pain.

For me it was heat related. Pausing/stuttering went away when I replaced my stock heatsink with an NV silencer (yesterday). Temps lowered nearly 20C both idle and load :)

Perhaps reseat your heatsink, make sure it's making good contact?

473245[/snapback]

I should do that and then apply some Artic silver and try it again yes. however my temps with this 115V AC at 150CFM fan my temps are 43 and 55 @ 583 and 1200 OC....but maybe it's temps somewhere else? Oh yeah that's with the agp bus @ 72...

Well if your temps are that good, maybe it aint? I don't really know :D

All I can say is when I took my heatsink off most of the paste it didn't actually look like it was making great contact anymore (even though I checked to make sure it was before properly screwing it down!!!)

Load temps before were 77C, and the throttling temperature was supposed to be like 120C or something... but it still throttled anyway. I guess maybe the temperature probe isn't very accurate?

I haven't seen it pause with my normal clocks since putting this heatsink on. Only happens when pushing it now, but I think I might have solved most of those by adding my memory capacitor back today ;)

EDIT: Right

AQUAMARK 3

400MHz on the core with FW OFF = 63,000

390MHz on the core with FW ON = 66,000

I can't remember if I paused folding or not for the FW ON run, but with folding paused with FW OFF = 64,000.

2000 points then....... if I could have FW on I would, even if it didn't increase my scores to much. I had no problems with my NF7 and FW :(

EDIT: Right

AQUAMARK 3

400MHz on the core with FW OFF = 63,000

390MHz on the core with FW ON = 66,000

I can't remember if I paused folding or not for the FW ON run, but with folding paused with FW OFF = 64,000.

2000 points then....... if I could have FW on I would, even if it didn't increase my scores to much. I had no problems with my NF7 and FW :(

473258[/snapback]

Thats weird...usually fastwrites has little, if any, improvement.