A 3rd Build

Ste

My brother will be going away for college soon and he wants me to build him a pc, This will be my third build, I have no experience with intel though, Im going to go intel Cause He likes things very fast, will be doing alot of CAD and multitasking. Anyways, He said hes getting a deal from a buddy buying a LCD for like 50$ off him so right away we have more space to breath as in parts. Im guessing his budget will be about 1000-1200.

I thinking for a quick idea.

DDR2 (1 GB)

SLI setup

2 160 in Sata Raid.

is that overkill and will it probably go over his budget?

Also There are alot of differen't sockets for intel I see, which is the best or best for cost here.

This will be my first Intel Build so I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

That build sounds like it might be over budget. Good DDR2 is quite a bit more expensive than normal DDR afaik. You might make the budget if you go cheap on case/psu/mobo but then it wouldn't be that great of a machine anyway.

That build sounds like it might be over budget.  Good DDR2 is quite a bit more expensive than normal DDR afaik.  You might make the budget if you go cheap on case/psu/mobo but then it wouldn't be that great of a machine anyway.

473334[/snapback]

Yea, intel rigs need a substantially larger budget to get similar performance as an amd rig. A nice new dual core intel would be an lightning encoding, number crunching, multi-tasking beast tho!

When do those come out or are they already?

Ok Maybe not SLI and DDR2 but defintitly SATA Raid 160GB harddrives. Prolly raid 0

Explain Ive never heard of that term. I still have to ask him though about if he wants a keyboard mouse, printer and internet related devices and services included in the budget. Though since he will be at college he will probably be on a network and doesn't need a printer maybe. could transfer text files on a floppy of USB flash.

raid 0 is fine if you dont buy . drives

MAXTOR=BAD

WD=GOD

473530[/snapback]

Umm i think you mean:

MAXTOR=BAD

WD & SEAGATE=GOOD

as for other brands like samsung i cant really say bc i dont have any newer drives by them to compare with....

I would also say forget SLI. Looks like a 3.2 P4 will cost you $220ish and saving $150 for a motherboard it's starting to get into the budget pretty good and you really havnet begun lol $100 for case, $90 for PSU, maybe a 6600gt $180 (think i saw one for that somewhere, i dont keep track of PCI-e cards much...)and get another later for SLI? the two 160GBs are what $100 each? or more? throw in ram and your pretty much at or above budget...

As for a "barebones" setup, it take SLI out of the equation but shuttle make GREAT SFF PCs that take up very little space(should be great for him) your looking at aroun $320 for a case/mobo/PSU combo that way. you may be saving may not be, all depends on the other parts in the system.

I think think intel is the way to go for CAD, even their celerons seem to do pretty good with basic CAD when compared to AMD. Of course he may be like me and would still rather have the better OVERALL performance of the AMD side of the fence :D Especially considering a pretty tight budget when your talking Intel. and does he REALLY need two 160GB HDDs?