Amd Oc

Trying to OC my athlon xp 3200, cooling has not been an issue at all, but i am thinking it is a locked chip, but i can change the voltage and FSB, but when i hit certain points it becomes unstable, but temp is very low, any thoughts on how to get more out of it or anything i need to check like PCI/AGP, or memory timings wich are standard now?

Thnx in advance. jimaymay :thumbs-up:

Trying to OC my athlon xp 3200, cooling has not been an issue at all, but i am thinking it is a locked chip, but i can change the voltage and FSB, but when i hit certain points it becomes unstable, but temp is very low, any thoughts on how to get more out of it or anything i need to check like PCI/AGP, or memory timings wich are standard now?

Thnx in advance. jimaymay :thumbs-up:

473095[/snapback]

Detailed system specs please. Mobo, ram, ect.

MOBO: abit nf7-s2g

RAM: 1024MB dual channel ddr PC3200 400Mhz

GPU: MSI Nvidia gforce fx 5600 128 MB

HDD: Dual Maxtor 60 GB SATA running RAID 0 striping

PSU Ultra X-connect 500W

plenty of cooling, this has never been an issue

Chip is a Barton just found the receipt

I got it to about 444Mhz FSB, but after that it seems to not boot, not sure if that is my memory or if cant handle the OC, i know i need to update BIOS, but my auto flash doesnt work properly, and i have downloaded that program like 20 times. I have no floppy to do this manually, didnt think i would need one.

Edited by jimaymay

That's not a multiplier that's a divider  :P

473383[/snapback]

ok i dont think you understand, AMD FSB is double pumped therefore he may be seeing it as the double number. and 444mhz seems reasonable for PC 3200 to crap out.

Oh and it should be an 11x multiplier if it's a 400mhz fsb barton @2.2 (200 x 11)

Edited by cchalogamer

What mem timings? Loosening em up shuld let you hit at least 222mhz(dont double/quad/10x pump mem speeds :P) stable. What brand ram and what is it running now?

**edit** gah, locked down dividers, my bad. That seems about right - 2400mhz for a 3200**edit**

True, but keep in mind that 444MHz is his bus speed, which is achieved by doubling the FSB. So in this case, if he has a bus speed of 444MHz, his FSB is 222MHz.

As for his multiplier, I remember my 2800 Barton had a 12.5 multiplier. It had a bus speed of 333MHz, so 12.5 x 166 = 2075MHz. Since he has a 3200 processor (which has a bus speed of 200MHz) I'm pretty sure his multiplier is less than 12.5x. It's more likely in the vicinity of 11x, which would put his stock speed at 2.2GHz. His overclocked FSB at 222MHz would put him a little over 2.4GHz.

My Barton was capable of hitting 2.5GHz on air without much of a problem, and I had crappy RAM with no AGP/PCI lock on my mobo. So if his stock speeds are starting at 2.2GHz, I'm pretty sure he should be able to get to 2.5GHz, maybe even 2.6GHz, as long as he has adequate cooling.

True, but keep in mind that 444MHz is his bus speed, which is achieved by doubling the FSB. So in this case, if he has a bus speed of 444MHz, his FSB is 222MHz.

473394[/snapback]

Umm yeah that would be what i said :lol: