Strange Video Problem

Hi! I've noticed this recently, where thin grey horizontal lines move from the upper part of my screen to the lower part. It seems to look like some type of interference, although I am not exactly sure what could be causing it. They streatch across the screen from left to right. They are always in the center of the screen but move from the upper portion to the lower portion of the middle of the screen.

The video card I own is an X800 Pro 256mb with Catalyst 5.4 I have all of the latest updates/drivers for all of the hardware in my PC.

Please let me know what may be causing this-

These lines do not appear all the time, but they appear sometimes.....both when I'm at the desktop or while playing a game.

EM interference. Happens to me all the time but all my electronics are relatively close together. My Moniter is 4 feet from a Sterio Speaker 5 feet away from my TV.

EM interference........do you have many lines? I'd say like 4 or 5 lines, moving up and down and random quick motions.

One time the PC crashed and restarted when these lines were there and one night I left my PC on all night but it restarted one point during the night (connections was only a fre hours compared to a few night) and my programs were turned off) Also when I came back to the PC that morning the lines were moving on the screen.

Usually just an old monitor. That has happened to me in the past, but I dont think it is the speakers or TV. My 2.1 speakers are right next to my monitor, even my sub. I also have a 21in TV about 1ft away from the monitor. Just an old monitor, or it is dying... :( Hope you figure this out.

EDIT- I DONT have lines, incase you got the idea that I do. I don't. I have before on older monitors though.

Edited by MasterRex862

I think they are scanlines - I have them too...although its usually with old monitors, your monitor just may be going. Sadly its a sign that the monitor is dying - although this one has had them for almost a year and all they did was get closer together ;).

If you've tried moving any other electrical components out of the way, and changed resolutions/color depth/refresh speeds, and nothing has changed it, I'd also say it's a good bet you have a bad monitor. Do you have another computer you could swap monitors with for a test? If you have a computer recycling type of store around, try spending $10 for some crap monitor and see if does the same thing.

Most likely, you should try calling Viewsonic's support and see about getting it RMA'd. Since it's less than a year old, I'd say there is a good chance it's still under warranty.

So what kind of lines are they exactly? I have like 1 line that is like a bulge that moves from the top to the bottom all the time when my TV is turned on, its right behind it AND it is plugged into the same connector. I dunno, have you tried another graphics card? another monitor? ^^

Guest Jeremy

If your monitors not dying, then its most likely due to some sort of interference. Make sure you don't have any stuff like wireless mouse/keyboard antennas near it.