Us Navy

Has anybody here served, or know somebody who's served, in the US Navy? I've being looking into getting a tech carreer or demolitions career in it, not only to be able to serve my country, but to be able to work with stuff that I love at the same time. My grandfather is a former Lieutennant Commander, now a lecturer at the University of Queensland. He enjoyed it alot, and I'll be emailing tonight on the subject. But, untill then, has anybody here served or know somebody who's served in the Navy? If so, what did you do, and did you enjoy it alot? And, what were some of the biggest benefits in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Well KB, I was in the Army so I can't say about the Navy specificly. So I will only speak to the military in general. It isn't for everyone. As a young single male it would be ok for you. I was 28 and married when I enlisted. The benefits are great, you get 3 free meals a day, free medical, free room and board, free clothing(uniforms) you pay for phone, cable, civilian clothing, and internet. Course your room is subject to inspection 24/7, you cant have a girl sleep-over, you share the room with 1-3 other guys of various personal habits(i.e. slobs). Now if you are allowed to live off-post you will be given $$ to cover rent and food. It's not enough.

My cousin just got his wings and is flying for the Marines. He seems to enjoy it. Course as a Pilot and officer life is VERY different.

If your grades are good try going ROTC. That way you get an education FIRST while being indoctrinated. Also at the end of it you'll be an officer. Read more $$.

Either way, try and find out everything you can. Try and talk to people that are doing the job you want. DON'T trust everything the recruiter tells you either. They can't all be trusted, although some can. Unfortunately it's hard to tell untill its too late.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Serving is usually a thankless endevor. However, know this, us vets and our famillies will thank you.

:foldon:

Oh, just membered my Great uncle(Grandfather's brother) was in the Navy. Course that was ALONG time ago, would imagine things were VERY different then.

im currently in the army and there is only one navy girl in my korean language class,i also have some friends in other parts of the navy and from what i've seen the navy has some great educational and living lessons to teach (dont go marines)

-drew

Has anybody here served, or know somebody who's served, in the US Navy? I've being looking into getting a tech carreer or demolitions career in it, not only to be able to serve my country, but to be able to work with stuff that I love at the same time. My grandfather is a former Lieutennant Commander, now a lecturer at the University of Queensland. He enjoyed it alot, and I'll be emailing tonight on the subject. But, untill then, has anybody here served or know somebody who's served in the Navy? If so, what did you do, and did you enjoy it alot? And, what were some of the biggest benefits in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

472033[/snapback]

heh - no navy - I was in the Marines. I did some demo work while I was infantry (fun!), then went geek. The Marines have great training for both of those fields, and plenty of practice; you also generally get a wide range of experience in the tech area. You have to be at higher echelons if you wanna get the best training, smaller units get crap. It is a bit hard though - if you want it to be easier, then try Navy, their tech area is decent. If you want "a lot easier" with more money available to the unit, try the Air Farce - it's a cakewalk

<ducks> ;)

I dunno how what kind of demo you're after, but I don't think standard Navy personnel get much playtime with demo, I think that's geared more towards specialized units.

From what I've heard, Marines is much tougher than anything else...but they also have a lot of fun and it's more for the guys who are there because they want to be there and not because they are forced to...if you just want free education and the military benefits, go Air Force. Not saying that they're a bunch of pansies though (only most of them :) )

I got my grandfather's reply this morning, and the Navy seems to be better then other military options.

"You get three hot meals a day for free, and a dry bed to sleep on at night."

That and he explained how the Navy helped him find meaning and guidance in his life. He was on the Ready Reserve untill 1992, when they put him on the Retired list(against his desires, I believe).

That information enough has got me rather motivated to join. And, even if I don't get to work with explosives, I guess I should keep my fingers and work with them on technology and repairing stuff :).

PS Part of the email he sent me:

1. In 1955, we still had the draft. I decided to join the Navy because it was a better alternative to two years in the Army. As a friend of mine said, "You have three hot meals per day and a dry place to sleep at night."  I preferred the uniform. I thought the career opportunities were much better than in the other services. Finally I had always liked the idea of going to sea and travel. I had a friend who had served four years in the Navy and he talked to me about it. I had thought about joining the Navy for a number of years - it just appealed to me.

2. I completed basic training and was sent to Journalism Class A school. This was a twelve week program. Upon completion I was a Seaman with a designated striker as a journalist. I did not take the exam for petty officer because I was sent to Officer Candidate School. When I finished OCS, I became a Public Affairs Officer, the officer equivalent of a journalist. It was interesting and challenging work. There was nothing that I did not like.

3. The Navy gave me purpose and direction in life. It taught me to respect people for their abilities and performance. It taught me how to complete work and how to work effectively with others. Some of the finest men I ever met were the ones for whom I worked while I was in the Navy. I kept in touch with the man who was my boss in Hawaii after I left the Navy, until he died. Before I joined, I lacked direction and purpose. The Navy was a major influence in my life.

4.  I went to Bainbridge, Md. for basic training and Great Lakes, Ill. for Journalist School. OCS was in Newport, R.I. I was on the staff of the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet, in Hawaii; I was on the staff of the Commandant, Ninth Naval District, Ill.; I was Public Affairs Officer for the Commander, U.S. Naval Activities, Spain; I was Assistant Public Affairs Officer, Commandant Third Naval District, New York. I still have one friend from those days - Terry Reilly.

5. I had a degree when I joined. There were programs then (and I think there are some today) where you can go to university and the Navy will pay. If there are, take it! I did earn my two teaching Diplomas using Veteran's benefits after I left active duty. I was on active duty for 8 years and in the Ready Reserve for 19 years.

6. In any job there are things that you like and dislike. Looking back, I now think that the good times far outweighed the bad. For example, basic training was hard - Dan will tell you that. But when you finish it, you look back with pride at your achievement. OCS was very hard - we only had three hours each night to study five subjects. But if you worked hard, you passed. The key to success in the Navy is to do the job to the best of your ability. When you do that you will succeed. There will be people you like and some you do not like - just as there are at school. But you learn to cope and you belong to an organization which will support you. You take pride in your work and you respect yourself for the job you do.

Just a sample ;). He seemed rather happy to discuss it, and will be coming over in September, so I'll be able to discuss it with him then. Thanks for all the advice people :).

PS If the Navy dosn't work out, then MAYBE I'll try the Marines... MAYBE.

Just do whatever looks to be the best for you - don't join a service just 'cause someone wants you to, or 'cause a recruiter talks you in to it. Don't believe A WORD that comes out of a recruiting office. PERIOD! Ya, there's a few good ones, but most are worse than used car dealers - all they want is their quota so they can get brownie points on their record. With a screwey car dealer, the most you lose is your credit - a recruiter screws with your life, future career, and least of all, your sanity.

Before signing anything, do all the research you can, using all the resources you can - and go to the recruiting office of your choice with ALL your decisions already made. Say that you want: job ABC, with conditions XYZ, for EFG length of time, and the contract. If they have offers that conflict with your plans/desires, ask them to change it (in writing), or you walk out the door. They may have conditional items that work with your plans, maybe not.

Try to remember though, that if and when you go in, you are making a decision that will rule every detail of your life for the next 3-30 years of your life. I highly recommend military service, but you just gotta know what you want before you go in.

PS - In case I didn't mention it, don't believe a word that a recruiter says. If you plan on believing him/her, make sure you'd trust them with your life...

<steps off soapbox>

Edited by cybergrunt69

I enlisted just after HS. got in my 6 weeks of basic before someone bothered to READ my physical. then it was time to go home :(

oh well in retrospect what I wanted to do (and tests said I should have been doing) wasn't such a good idea. and yes it involed demo work. all for the better considering the state of the world right now.

however most jobs in the navy are considerably safer than the marines or army. ships don't generally take mortar attacks, or car bombs... grunts on the ground get chit on with that kind of stuff.

oh yeah, don't listen to the recuiter. they told me I'd have been working on electronics just like my old man did while he was in the navy.... durring basic it was realized that I wasn't cut out for that :)