Get The New Internet?

My family wants to move up from dial-up since it is so week out where I live. The only thing else available is satilite internet offered from a local place and from direcway. 2 years ago we looked into direcway and it was really bad but from what everyone I know is saying now is that it has gotten better. We have horrible dial-up is it worth going for the dish? I also love to play mmorpg's will I see a performance upgrade with this? Again I cant press the issue how bad our dial up is. thanks a bunch.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well pages will load a HECK of alot faster, but a 700ms ping in games is normal. idk how much that would hurt you in an mmorpg, but for any other type of game that makes dialup more playable.

I want dsl or cable but it doesnt come out to us. I can only run at 24 kbps right now so how much of an increase will I be able to see? The main thing I want to know about though is my mmorpg, will I see a performance increase or decrease? The lady I talked to about it said a major increase. All I know is right now I am running at the most minimum settings and it still is really slow.

Its really common since, do you think pings will be lower going through a cable or going through your house, through the atmosphere, to outer space then back through the atmosphere to a server then back through again?

Its really common since, do you think pings will be lower going through a cable or going through your house, through the atmosphere, to outer space then back through the atmosphere to a server then back through again?

471918[/snapback]

DSL or cable is best.

Sometimes it's simply not available. They won't run the lines down the road if they can't make the money back. I'm facing a similar situation soon myself.

I dont know with the poor phone line settup in my house and us getting out internet from a place over 50 miles away the dish sounded ok. Well I guess that it does make sense though. So the ping plays that big of an issue with mmorpg's? Sorry for the dumb questions but I just dont know.

Your overall internet performance should be better, and I think you'll see some increase. I haven't used it for gaming, but have worked with supporting it in a work environment. You will see the biggest problems with uploads - whether it's for sending email attachments or for getting your game progress uploaded to the hosting server. The DL speeds are decent, but the uploads still have a massive delay (due to the distance, etc, like posted above).

i dont know much about dish internet expect It is prolly very slow in gaming ,When i was out my dad's house for the summer , he has wireless and I got like 125 ping every game i played and i wasnt that far from the Router. If you can afford it , get a t1 or t3 line dug tp your house lol