Sign in to follow this  
CoolMaster

What Exactly Are Video Cards Made Out Of?

I thought PCB's were made out of layers of ceramic, with Copper traces between the layers which connect the various parts on the PCB to one another.

Edit: Nope, it's Fiberglass.

I can't seem to escape OCC, I googled "what are PCB's made out of?" and was directed here. I just closed my OCC window to go to bed. Man, I guess it's destiny that I post some more...

BTW I was wondering what was in PCB's cause I just spent about ten minutes inhaling PCB dust from a mod that I did :blink:

Take a look at this website. wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board

Low-end consumer grade PCB substrates frequently are made of paper impregnated with phenolic resin.
High-end consumer and industrial circuit board substrates are typically made of a material designated FR-4. This consists of a woven fiberglass mat impregnated with a flame resistant epoxy resin.

I would figure the video cards we use today are prolly the fr-4 one's for high end?

maybe Im wrong?

the insulator is the "main part" tho right?

Edited by CoolMaster

I saw an article once that if you put some kind of liquid (i don't remember which one) on a silicon board, and then later scratched it, the board would blow up. I thought it was funny when I read it, but i didn't believe it. :D

Indeed LOL wonder if it's true (i doubt it LOL)

so is the insulator the MAIN part like, basically the Board part of it? im guessing

like on an ATI card, basically the big red board part of it (not the circuits and stuff, but the board it's actually on) is that the insulator? :)

Edited by CoolMaster

What the hell is with all these "What is this or that computer part made out of"? I don't usually believe in dub questions, but these things really are coming close.

The PCB is mostly fiberglass substrate with copper or aluminum electrical traces, coated with a lacquer. Obviously fiberglass is an insulator, and the question you just posted has already be answered by mikey390's wikipedia link.

The GPU die is made of silicon and copper (or aluminum), just like for CPUs.

The memory is made of silicon and alluminum (or copper).

the other cmponents are made up of a wide variety of materials. Just look up capacitors, resistors, and integrated circuts.

What the hell is with all these "What is this or that computer part made out of"? I don't usually believe in dub questions, but these things really are coming close.

493559[/snapback]

It's only a dumb question if you already know the answer, genius ;)

And I was asking because I was curious if there were any toxic ingredients in the PCB, thanks though.

This is pathetic I really cant believe you people would consider there are stupid questions in this world. We all are learning, we all ask questions its what we are here for. by the way everyone is different a question that you ask maybe a dumbass question to some of us. I will address this once again which has been said many times by many OCC members if you dont have anything good to say or to answer the persons question dont frekin post.

its made out of the same thing mobos and all other cards are made out of

come on i would think that people on this fourm would know this by know.

the pcb is an insulator and then the traces cary the electricity to the carious devices.

Most modern circuit boards have multiplelayers that have more traces on them to get more items connected in the same space.

they will also have little holes lined with metal to get critical circuit lines avalible on all of the layers