Is Guild Wars A Mmorpg?

spathalogic

Is Guild Wars a MMORPG?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is Guild Wars a MMORPG?

• Yes.
    • No.

Many people view Guild Wars as a MMORPG, but it is clearly not one. I have made some posts on www.mmorpg.com about this and I will now share them with you (when I refer to 'this website' I am referring to www.mmorpg.com - a website which lists MMORPGs and has Guild Wars on it):

First, a question: What is your exact definition of a MMORPG? I would define it as a game where several thousand players can play together in the same world. Disregarding server technical specifications, a TRUE MMORPG would allow all players to be in one area of the game at one time and one that would allow players to change the world as a whole. Guild wars is basically a conglomerate of shards of instances- it is impossible for all players to be in the same area of the world at one time, it is also impossible, with instances, to allow players to change the world.

Taken directly from www.guildwars.com I give you the following:

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)? ((I suggest reading the third paragraph if anything))

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

Notice they use servers or shards- this doesn't relate anything to the fact that almost 98% of the game is instanced. In my humble and honest opinion, Guild Wars is not a MMORPG and should NOT be listed on this website as one.

Take away the single player functionality of Diablo 2 and change the chat rooms to an in game area- is it now an MMORPG?

Guild Wars is not a MMORPG (in fact, it clearly states it on their website) yet it is listed on this website as one.

Here, let me elaborate:

I am referring to MMORPGs- there is a difference between a true MMORPG and an Online Role Playing Game- here, I'll walk this through with you to see why it can be misleading. The MMORPG need not be a 'cookie cutter EQ' game, unless you view every MMORPG as one.

Both are/ have:

Many players online

Role playing games

The differences;

MMORPG: All players interact and exist in the same world. MMORPGs are meant to be an immersive world, much like real life (I don't see places in real life where you could do something in one place that does not effect anything elsewhere) If Player A kills a goblin in one area, player B will see it be killed, and so will Group C, and player D, the one travelling through the area- in addition, Player D can now run through the spot and reach his destination quicker because of the actions of Player A; Group C will only have to deal with 4 goblins instead of 5; Player B can now safely gather the herb that the goblin was guarding. Every player is affected by this mere killing of a goblin.

Online Role Playing Game: Players are placed in an area to chat and then move on to instanced (seperated areas of the game world) where decisions and choices are made. These do not effect any other parts of the game other than the instanced area at hand, which does have a cap on the maximum number of players that can enter. (Example of an instance: Group A enters 'The Dark Forest'- the zone is loaded with only the players in Group A. Group B enters 'The Dark Forest'- the zone is loaded with only the players in Group B- they are completely seperate from Group A but are in the exact same zone as them. It is impossible for Group A to see, notice, or feel the effects of the actions of Group B)

Edited by Instag0

I played in the alpha test before eventually quitting during the beta....it's definitely NOT a mmorpg, and that was one of the main problems for me. No monthly fee is nice, but why can't a real professional mmorpg be like that?

I hope you guys don't mind me copy+pasting some of my other posts made on www.mmorpg.com, but I think everyone should see them:

Friends, no matter what you believe, I may still argue my opinion- breaking the forum rules merely leads to the deletion of your post. I am not trying to troll, nor flame- I am trying to argue my side. You argue your side, we'll have a good time ;).

On that note, this brings up another point: www.mmorpg.com needs to have a place where we can clearly see exactly what it means by MMORPG- they need to have their own definition. Another reason why we're having this conflict is because there really isn't an exact definition for the term MMORPG. It is all opinion- there isn't a place we can go for an exact standard. Even in the FAQ, www.mmorpg.com lists no question for "What is a MMORPG" yet simply assumes that all users know exactly what a MMORPG is. Since my argument is mostly based around the definition of a MMORPG (one persistant game world) it could have easily been thwarted if there was a true, exact definition of MMORPG on this website.

I apologize guild warriors, but this should have been placed in the 'General Discussion' perhaps? I did not want to disturb the peace- merely try to bring up somethings that have been nagging me for a while. If anyone knows how to get this moved to 'General Discussion---> The Pub at MMORPG.COM' please do so.

GRRR- I just wrote about 4-5 paragraphs and all if it was lost when it wasn't posted =/. Oh well, there goes the discussion- I'm not completely willing right at this moment to complete rewrite what I just wrote. Here, I'll try again:

I want a the conflict of real life in my MMORPGs- that is, dynamic changes (changing changes) I want a world where there are less restrictions just like life (complete anarchy until communities form) I want a real world- a hard, world- one with strife, conflict, hardship and other times easy-going (mind you most of this is based on the opinion/ mood of the user) I love life so much that I want to take some of it's qualities and make it into a game- sue me :P.

You see, conflict (this does not necessarily mean violence) brings changes in our world. Conflict, be it an argument, or even a war (eeeek!) changes our world. Just like the middle-eastern conflict affects many other nations. It has formed 'groups' of people- one could even say it has torn us apart, or even brought us together (I believe both, but thats another story)

I am sick of how most MMORPGs have a game world seen through 'rose-coloured glasses.' I want a 'hardcore' world- one without restrictions of one's own actions. Going slightly off topic here: now, before you even ask- I am not a player killer, nor do I enjoy killing other players (and even with the new Honor System in World of Warcraft, I still refrain from killing others on a PvP server! Why did I join a PvP server if I didnt want to kill others? Because I still have the choice if I wanted to) Even if I do not want to do something, I still want to have the choice to do so! I do not want to murder anyone or hurt anyone in real life, but do I have the choice? Yes.

Basically, I want a MMORPG with little to no restrictions on actions and a vast variety of server types ranging from the 'PvE crafting' servers to a 'hardcore' server. How do you sell a game like this? Simply do what I just told you in addition to making an appealing game (well, easier said than done, but it is still a good idea, in my opinion, nonetheless)

Basically, I want simulation of real life in a video game setting. However, this may mean a lot, but it is not the Sims. We do not need to go that in depth, and I'd prefer we didn't . Lets keep it to the adventuring, crafting, and combat, shall we? Why? Because I see the 'upkeep/ utility' necessities as life as the largest annoyances, not some 'relationship breakdown' at work or school.

Now, you've seen me coin the term 'hardcore.' It means life-like- anarchy. I stress, however, that conflict and strife can bring together safe communities (look at real life, look at civilization, pick up a history book)

A little about me so you know where I'm coming from: I am currently subscribed to World of Warcraft and am also considering subscribing to EverQuest 2. I have played around twenty or so MMO games (be it MMOFPS, MMORTS, what ever have you)

With my final words I'd like to reiterate what I have said above in a rather small comment: I want anarchy.

I'm a bit startled by the results- even though its only four people, it is amazing that some people think this is a MMORPG- If you voted yes, is Diablo 2 a MMORPG?

Edited by Instag0

Diablo II is definiatly NOT an MMORPG.  In an MMO you can't create your own server.

471073[/snapback]

If DII isn't an mmorpg (which I agree with you, it definitely is not), then neither is GW. Although GW is very different than DII, it's setup is basically the same, but modernized. Missions/maps are instanced for you and your party the same way you'd join a "game" in DII thru Battle.net. GW's towns and outposts are basically battle.net chat rooms with a graphical interface and the ability to buy, sell and trade. The actual "game" isn't played until you enter a map/mission, the same way DII isn't played until you enter a "game."

GW's towns and outposts is even more like Battle.net's chatrooms because of its character limits imposed. I'm not sure what the soft and hard numbers are exactly, but for argument's sake, let's say 100 is the soft limit. After 100 people join Kyhlo originally, the next person, #101, gets bounced to Kyhlo #2....the 201st person get's bounced to Kyhlo #3, etc etc. This is just a soft limit, so if you need to join friends, you can still manually change #'s, but this is just like battle.net's chat room setup. Unlike typical MMORPG's, you'll never have 1000 people in one area...ESPECIALLY in the actual game part.

And for those reasons, GW is definitely NOT an mmorpg.

And I hope Guild Wars isn't Diablo 3 like people are saying, cause then I'd have to say they ruined the Diablo series. :(

471085[/snapback]

Although I've outlined some general similarities above, it's definitely not DIII. DIII's strength is in the multitude of items and combinations. GW's items mean relatively crap in comparison, and is more skill-based.

Don't worry, the Diablo series isn't ruined. Go check out HELLGATE: LONDON. That's being created by the makers of Diablo and is a DII meets Doom 3 and looks f'n awesome. On the shell it resembles an FPS, but that's merely graphically...it's definitely an RPG, in that you don't have to aim for the head, and all the weapons actually act like rpg-like spells (stunning, AOE's, etc etc). In addition, it'll have completely randomly generated maps, so the replayability will be enormous. If DII was a crack addition to many ppl, Hellgate:London is slated to be a heroin addiction.

Claymeow, I don't want you thinking like me, please get out :lol:. You just said exactly what has been in my mind all this time.

Meeting places in Guild Wars are like the chat rooms of battle.net.

Instances in Guild Wars are like the games of battle.net.

Claymeow, I don't want you thinking like me, please get out :lol:. You just said exactly what has been in my mind all this time.

Meeting places in Guild Wars are like the chat rooms of battle.net.

Instances in Guild Wars are like the games of battle.net.

471142[/snapback]

well I used to be in the alpha test and had been extensively following the game for months before that (we're talking borderline addiction), so I've had plenty of time to think about it. lol.

but hey, great minds think alike, right? :)

but hey, great minds think alike, right?

Uhh.. uhh.. I know! Minds that are alike think alike! There, got it!

I'm just a little disappointed that people view this type of game as a MMORPG because it clearly isn't one.

Hmmm..... You oughtta go to work for EQ or WoW. I mean its not "technically" an MMORPG but I think its fun nonetheless.

471224[/snapback]

whether it's fun or not has nothing to do with the question at hand. Hell, some people like the game BECAUSE it's not the typical mmorpg. For me, I'd rather play DAOC over GW anyday if money wasn't an issue, but that's just me. GW PvP is a ton of fun if you get a good, cooperative team.