4/6 Channel Amp?

markiemrboo

Hmm. My Dad just got these two monitor speakers "for cheap", he says. I think he's trying to find a decent replacement for his huuuge (not made anymore) Mordaunt Short floor standing beasts. Anyway, he says they're "alright".

I was thinking of asking if I could steal them off him and have a go at making some sort of surround sound (I could easily get two more identical speakers) blah with proper speakers and an amp.

Since I am a n00b though, I am having a real problem actually finding even a 4 channel amplifier that isn't a car amp! Do such things exist? The speakers are rated at 150W 'music power' and 90W 'sinus power' each with an impedence of 4 or 8 ohms (there's four plugs on the back of each one, so I assume one set is 4 and the other 8?). I'm guessing this means I need a 400W-600W 4 channel amp. Is this going to be reaaaaaaaal expensive? Maybe I can get two 2 channel amps?

Another thing!! What is the power consumption on proper amps like? I was reading the specs of one of these car amps and it looked like it was saying it's maximum current draw was 27A!! Eek??

Any useful advice welcomed here :P

Ok, if these are house speakers, what you want is a reciever (the thing you connect the speakers, TV, VCR, DVD player, etc to) you can pick a new 5.1 surround sound reciever for pretty cheep these days and they are around 500watts.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1077629452760

this is a 6.1 A/V reciever with 600watts (100x6) the .1 in 6.1 is the sub output which usually you connect a powered sub to, but not a necessity.

*EDIT* Oh and i forgot to mention, when you said that those car amps you were looking at took 27 amps, that is based off of 12V DC. not the same thing....that one in the link probably will drain ~2 amps. My car stereo system pulls ~70amps. (massive work had to be done, add a 2nd battery, add a capacitor...etc...)

Edited by sYstEmATiC

No soundstorm. It might have optical out, buuut... if I use that I will only get 2 channel audio in games won't I? Forgot to mention I would be using analog...

Thanks for clearing up the power consumption thing.

EDIT: http://ws2.richersounds.com/showproduct.ph...LTAX-AVR200-SIL

That thing says it has 5 audio inputs..? Does that mean analog?

no, that'd mean 5 sources that you can hook up, like tv, video, cd, etc...

you'd need to look out for "6-channel input" on there for 6-channel analogue input from one source