I Can Finally Get Adsl

Vampire

Ok Im really excited because the exchance near my place is now ADSL enabled, and I can get broadband. However I need to know a few things, currently I have 3 PC's connected to a standard 5 port switch via patch cable, on my server rig, I have the dial up modem which Im currently using, I just enabled internet connection sharing for my other 2 PC's to have internet access. However with this broadband, it isnt as simple as enabling internet connection sharing as far as I know... so whats the best way to split the broadband connection between all 3 PC's, whilst still maintaining my home network so I can say LAN my brother in games of UT2004 etc?

Would a 5 port router do this? I am not really familiar with splittng a broadband internet connection between 3 PC's. Is there any way I can still use my 5 port switch, or will that become redundant?

Any help is appreciated, as I dont know what Im doing :P

thanks

Guest Raven65

Buy a Router then run the cables , after that just set up your network with the wizard. Should work , to share the internet with multi comps and BB all you need is a router. have four on right now. just set up file sharing also. easy and done.

You dont have to do much. as stated above, just get a router connect your DSL modem to the "WAN" or "Internet" port, and connect the PCs to any of the other ports on the back. Have all the PC's with the same workgroup name and filesharing is done. Enjoy DSL (PM me if you want 2 utilities to get the MOST outta ur ADSL, I have it as well, just take a look at my speeds at fullblast)

I got the 3mbps/768kbps package

WAHHH! how did Silkster get 4118.18KB/s on a 3Mbit connection!??!?! The theoretical MAX he should be able to get is 375KB/s.!?!??!?! I is confused, lol

467793[/snapback]

yea...I think its displaying Kbits and well i'm not sure why its that high...but it might have something to do with it being a fileshareing thing and that little window open in the middle says something like 2700Kbps