Uploaded My Site

Parrothead

I uploaded my website and can ftp from multiple software and see that it's there, but I can't surf via my URL address. I get the message on my site: "Forbidden - you don't have permission to access / on this server. Additionally, a 404 not found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request." What the heck does this mean? And , how/what do I do to get my index.html to show up? Thanks -

First off, who is your host?

Next, when you FTP to your site what all folders are there? -- Folders that were there the first time you FTPed to it, not something you added.

Also, what kind of server is it? MS or Linux/Unix?

Lastly, have you contacted your host?

----

Most sites will have a /pub/, /public/, /html/, /webroot/, or /main/ folder which is where you should place your files. On a few rare cases, I have seen host use just / from the users purspective. It's not common, but does happen. - Your host should tell you where to upload the files.

The "default file" is a setting made on the web server. Most people host will use index.something or default.something (htm, html, php, asp, etc) in the settings. The web server knows that when a request is made for a given "folder" to look for one of these files, if the file is there then it sends that to the requestor. - Most likely you cannot change this, but your host can tell you what valid default files are accepted on their servers.

Lastly, have you contacted your host?

465613[/snapback]

That's probably what will get the quickest result. I'd use the phone and talk directly to a human. It looks like your index.html file might be outside a folder it needs to be in. Make sure that your host has set the "permissions" properly so that you actually can upload to the correct folder.