Building A Home Server

Guest Poopsicle Boy

Guest Poopsicle Boy

hey guys im building a home server. i have a really old dell computer and monitor. i think its a p2 maybe p3 not sure of the specs just yet. it doesnt have a network adapter so i have to get an adapter. if anyone has any old/spare parts that they would donate to me id be really gratefull. the server will be used to host media, maybe a cs source server (small) and a teamspeak or ventrilo server. what do you think?

the server will be used to host media, maybe a cs source server (small) and a teamspeak or ventrilo server. what do you think?

I think it is a smashingly good idea, just becarefull though that your server doesn't get too much traffic because I know that some ISP companies get rather ticked off for people running servers out of one's home when they didn't pay for the "business" package.

I think it is a smashingly good idea, just becarefull though that your server doesn't get too much traffic because I know that some ISP companies get rather ticked off for people running servers out of one's home when they didn't pay for the "business" package.

465247[/snapback]

Let me guess Like humm idk YOURS :lol:

Guest Jeremy

Well...you can't really host anything with a P3. On a CS server you would only be able to host a couple people, depending on your upload speed.

...and if your going to be getting a lot of traffic I would not advise using a P3 as a server. :lol:

Let me guess Like humm idk YOURS 

What do you mean by that chris?

Well...you can't really host anything with a P3. On a CS server you would only be able to host a couple people, depending on your upload speed.

Good call on that one jeremy, I totatly missed that one. Yea boy he is right about that one, your best bet out probably will be hosting a teamspeak server, and using it as a file server. Games now days are so demanding of ther servers, (I am not sure about CS) but it may put too much of a strain if it is more than like 6 people(ballpark guess) and will tend to get extremyl choppy! You may not experience it but your guests will, specially if you are doing other things with your internet connection at the time, if your upload speed isn't the greatest!