Raid 0 Yes Or No?

jonnoyeo111

OK..... atm ive got one Maxtor SATA 120GB drive and a Seagate PATA 40GB drive. I'm thinking of buying another Maxtor SATA 120GB drive and running RAID 0, Raid 0 is the "good" one right....lol...like not the mirroring one. I'm guessing that i'd have to format my 120GB drive to set up raid 0 one the two 120GB drives right? Also, the 40GB will run fine witihout any modificaitons, i just have to hook it up once the Raid setup is done. Also, when the Raid 0 is setup, does it register the two 120GB drives as two seperate drives or as one 240GB drive, thanks. Also, how much performence gain would i get from runnning raid 0? otherwise i might just use the extra 120GB drive as extra space.

Thanks

Raid 0 is stripping without fault protection, so whatever you connect, you best make sure you connect drives that are as identical as possible.

Also since its without fault protection you will lose all data is one drive dies,

2 120 GB's will be read as one 240 GB and you will see faster load up times, file transfers and saving large files, also boot up may go faster.

I wouldn't use the 40 GB in that unless it has same speeds as other 2 drives.

Well on my two 80GB drive my transfer rates were right around the 49mbps and 43mbps marks (WD followed by Seagate) After RAID 0ing i get around 99mbps. when moving large files, it's usually noticibly fast, but for MOST uses its about the same speed. Some games load alot faster some the same. the RAID doesnt help unless the data is sequential on the drive. when it has to jump around sometimes in benchmarks (timed loading of apps) the RAID setup has been shown to be slower. Since you already have one drive the cost to add another isnt that much, I say why not.

As for the 40GB, I never unhooked my 160GB when setting everything up. Didnt have any issues. Also it becomes ONE drive as far as windows and everything outside of the bios knows.

EDIT: ste, the 40GB wont be part of the arrary, it doesnt matter how fast it is. Just like my 160GB that transfers slower doesnt have anythign to do with the RAID 0 array.

Edited by cchalogamer

everyone makes the point about losing data if one drive dies in a Raid-0 array, but if you just had a single drive, and it died, wouldn't you just lose your data in that situation too?

everyone makes the point about losing data if one drive dies in a Raid-0 array, but if you just had a single drive, and it died, wouldn't you just lose your data in that situation too?

465213[/snapback]

Tep, which is why i went to it w/o much thought, it is easier for that data to become corrupt with two drives though, and you doulbe the possibility and ammount of data lost with RAID 0

The reason its lost is because raid 0 separts ever file and program evenly on the 2 drives, so one drives dies, you have half of the actual data, which is useless since you need other half for anything meaningful thus thats why all data is lost.

I am running raid 0 with 2 raptors, you can set it up as I think it is rais 0+1 which is for performance ans if one dies you still have your data, its been awhile sine I messed with raid,. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

:foldon:

I was wondering if there was a way where you could have 3 drives, 2 80 GB and 1 160 GB. the 2 would be raid 0 while the third would be like raid 1, where is stores the complete files, could this work. so it would be pretty fast and you would also have fault protection would be cool.