People That Know Nothing Of Computers...

Nedlinin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got one here: BigRed

He thinks he knows it all...

J/K, BigRed's one of the first that I admired due to all his rigs and is very dependable when it comes to asking for information

I have people that come in looking for a mew system and ask how much it is just for the CPU. It took me about 3 months to figure out that they are asking for the price of the tower. People call it the hard drive all the time too, and why is it so hard to understand the difference between HDD storage space and memory!?!

As I began reading this thread, I thought to myself "Yeah, people who don't know computer stuff really are annoying." But then, as I kept reading on, I realized something. There was a time when I myself thought the tower was a CPU, and I too didn't know the difference between HDD and memory. What my point is, is that not everyone in this world is knowledgable about computers, and maybe we shouldn't hold it against them. Now, I'm not saying that people who think they know everything aren't annoying, I'm just saying that we were all there at one time or another, and we eventually learned. So maybe instead of making fun of these people, or laughing at them behind their backs, maybe we should set them straight so they will really know what they're talking about.

As I began reading this thread, I thought to myself "Yeah, people who don't know computer stuff really are annoying."  But then, as I kept reading on, I realized something.  There was a time when I myself thought the tower was a CPU, and I too didn't know the difference between HDD and memory.  What my point is, is that not everyone in this world is knowledgable about computers, and maybe we shouldn't hold it against them.  Now, I'm not saying that people who think they know everything aren't annoying, I'm just saying that we were all there at one time or another, and we eventually learned.  So maybe instead of making fun of these people, or laughing at them behind their backs, maybe we should set them straight so they will really know what they're talking about.

464951[/snapback]

That is exactly what I do, after I figure out what the heck they mean, and try not to make them frrl stupid because what they were saying was so wrong I didn't even understand it. I think the point of the thread is that there are people who act liekthey know everything and agree with whatever you say so they don't look bad and want to fit in. I don't mind someone coming to me and using incorrect terms and is willing to learn the right ones.

Back on topic: I had a girl come in today looking to upgrade her RAM and asked if we sold it. I asked her if she knew what kind she had and the speed, and she then pulled out an 8MB stick of EDO RAM! I can't even begin to imagine how old that computer must be. I had to tell her she was out of luck, and would be better off buying a new computer. I wonder if she even has Windows.

Most of these people, keep [atleast] half of us employeed.

464813[/snapback]

I think they keep the other half employeed too....

Ya'll have read my stories about the poeple who can't work SFY's gas pumps (which are computer drived). Many people buy compters, many more people buy gas. Assuming some of these are the same people its safe to say that 'tarddoom (new word) is pretty much universal. One could surmise that IT/customer servace/support is id01t (did I spell that right?) driven.

Back on topic. We should be nice to these n00bs because most of us where n00bs at one point ourselves. If they frustrate you (you should see me some days :lol: ) find some stuff to punch and send flying.

The subset of this phomononon(sp) that I see all day is the ppl who think the know how to use the pump (computer) but really don't, refuse to RTFI and whine to me that its broken and I make it work on the first try. WISPW -> LAO

yeah, at my old school i used to do just about all of thier computer work cause the comp teacher they had always asked me for help. so i had free reign of anything computer related so somehow they always decide to blame it on the kid just cause hes younger than you

464843[/snapback]

the only way to run a school is BOFH style... I even have a nice 4 tired excuse generator... :P no really, I do

ive got this one teacher in my class who has all of their computers with Deepfreeze on it... and what that program does is it sets like a restore point everyday.. everytime the computer is turned off it resets it back to its original state so it stays exactly the same everytime it is turned on... well the point of DeepFreeze is to fix the computer, and then set the program.. not set it while its currently broken.. so im in class and she claims theres a virus on the computer that comes back everyday and screws up the computer, so i go on there and its just some spyware and adware crap that keeps popping up on internet explorer... and i fix it and get rid of it all.. and i tell her its fixed.. and i come back the next day and shes like ITS BACK! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! im like NOOO i fixed it.. she said NO NO you didnt! its back... im like WTF you cant set DeepFreeze on a point to where its already broken.. and they refuse to give the password to DeepFreeze to people who know what theyre doing.. instead they only let the teachers have it, who don't know JACK!...

oh and that same teacher, just yesterday, claimed that listening to music files puts spyware on your computer, and the music takes up memory and slows the computer down, and that playing solitaire will put spyware on it...

and this one gave me a kick... our librarian was walking around the computers looking at peoples screens to see that they are staying on task, and there was one of my friends on a computer looking up some sites, and he had a couple of windows open on the taskbar... and she came up and was like "why do you have so many windows open" he goes.. "im looking at 3 different sites" (he was researching presidents) and she goes "you better close all those windows or you're gonna put spyware on these computers and slow them down.. you're not supposed to have more than 1 window open at a time" he goes "well im sorry microsoft allowed windows to have more than 1 window open at a time" in a real assholish voice.. it was great... so we get on that computer and get on MS Paint and make a image that says Spywarz LoLz and put it as the background, and then changed IE to Spyware Explorer and My Documents to My Spyware etc etc etc... it was GREAT

ive got this one teacher in my class who has all of their computers with Deepfreeze on it... and what that program does is it sets like a restore point everyday.. everytime the computer is turned off it resets it back to its original state so it stays exactly the same everytime it is turned on... well the point of DeepFreeze is to fix the computer, and then set the program.. not set it while its currently broken.. so im in class and she claims theres a virus on the computer that comes back everyday and screws up the computer, so i go on there and its just some spyware and adware crap that keeps popping up on internet explorer... and i fix it and get rid of it all.. and i tell her its fixed.. and i come back the next day and shes like ITS BACK! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! im like NOOO i fixed it.. she said NO NO you didnt! its back... im like WTF you cant set DeepFreeze on a point to where its already broken.. and they refuse to give the password to DeepFreeze to people who know what theyre doing.. instead they only let the teachers have it, who don't know JACK!...

oh and that same teacher, just yesterday, claimed that listening to music files puts spyware on your computer, and the music takes up memory and slows the computer down, and that playing solitaire will put spyware on it...

and this one gave me a kick... our librarian was walking around the computers looking at peoples screens to see that they are staying on task, and there was one of my friends on a computer looking up some sites, and he had a couple of windows open on the taskbar... and she came up and was like "why do you have so many windows open" he goes.. "im looking at 3 different sites" (he was researching presidents) and she goes "you better close all those windows or you're gonna put spyware on these computers and slow them down.. you're not supposed to have more than 1 window open at a time" he goes "well im sorry microsoft allowed windows to have more than 1 window open at a time" in a real assholish voice.. it was great... so we get on that computer and get on MS Paint and make a image that  says Spywarz LoLz and put it as the background, and then changed IE to Spyware Explorer and My Documents to My Spyware etc etc etc... it was GREAT

465011[/snapback]

deep freeze just puts all files on a different drive which is never kept... its like everything you save goes to "ram"...

Guest Silenc3

You can get into anything without a password. Just requires using the head; so its not done often.