I Think It's Dead

Hyper Threaded

Recently I've been having a problem where my computer freezes during windows loading, when all the systemtray icons start to show up. Now I've found out what the problem is, it's the soundcard which is pretty much dead by now, most of the time I get this horrible screeching once the driver has loaded and the computer freezes. The soundcard doesn't detect anymore, even though it's still plugged into the mobo.

Soundcard is an Audigy2 Platinum. I'm really angry at this thing, not even two years old and it's already dying! I believe the problem I'm having has been called the "screech of death" or sth similar to that before.

Heh. I used to get the squeal of death on my Audigy1. Thought it was fixed on the Audigy2... no one else here seems to have such problems yet? Still staying well away from Creative here in Markie land though...

I was able to re-seat it, now it boots up fine. It's not dead yet, but it's surely dying.

Could it be the motherboard though? I've only tried PCI slot 5 for the Audigy2. Might be worth cleaning the contacts on the motherboard and on the card, I think.