Best Socket478 Overclocking Mobo?

fyr3wyr3

right now i gotta asus p4p800 se with the latest bios. i can only oc 3.16 stable with this mobo on my 2.4c. wil a diff mobo give me a higher stable oc? like an abit ic7-g or sumthing? cuz i know ppl who have hit 3.8 stable with a 2.4c but i cant. so what mobo will help me out more?

yeah its brand id 9, family f, stepping 9, rev. d1, model 2 which i believe is fairly new for a 2.4c. ive upped vcore and everything ive tried it all.. mem timings, dividers.. aftermarket air cooling (polo 735 thermaltake) etc.. so i can only conclude 2 things.. my mobo or its this particular chips limit..

Edited by fyr3wyr3

It might be the HSF too. I checked one review quickly and I noticed it said the fins are soldered to the base. That might inhibit heat transfer. I don't know how good or bad the HSF is though. I'd suggest an XP-90/120 and/or a different mobo, but most people (myself included) can't spend that much on a whim, so that wouldn't be very helpful.

The Abit IC7-G seems to be very well-liked around here. It is one of the best (if not the best) OCing s478 mobos available. The only problem is finding one. I'm pretty sure that Monarch has some.

EDIT: Abit IC7-G $136 with free shipping.

Edited by Bleeble

i had a p4 2.4C oc'ed @ 275fsb for a 3.3 total with a max3 by abit. I just got a dfi lanparty pro 875B rev b mobo with a 2.6C unlocked. I will post some results after it is up and running...but the answer to your question about which mobo..

1. abit IC7-G max2

2.dfi lanparty 875B

those would be my 2 top choices...good luck

Well this is just too easy. The best board for Northwood C processors is the Epox 4PDA2+Ver.2. It is available directly from Epox USA for $120.

It has every on board features as the more expensive Asus and Abit boards. It utilizes the 865 Springdale chipset. It has never met a Canterwood board that it could not mame and kill! A little Show and tell now.

cooking.jpg

It runs smooth For benching at 305.5 fsb @ 3687 mhz!!

fastest.jpg

Hey how does your cpu score measure up. Not bad for a 2.4C

Runningwiththewind.jpg

It runs daily at 303 fsb @ 3637 mhz. And has now for more than a year.

You say, Well gee WZ what if I ever want to get a 3.0C proceesor and run with that board. Well I have 2 of these boards. And a 3.0C is installed in the other.

ee.jpg

A little stronger on pcmark too!

record.jpg

AQMK3.jpg As you can see the CPU score with the 3.0C overclocked is about 1,000 points higher. Alright now alll you Canterwood guys running Northwood C processors come and get me. This board is For Northwood A,B and C chips only. Not a Prescott Board. Here is a pic of the board so you can see layout. You will notice there is a lot of room between the mem sticks and the vid card so it is not a pain to change mem on this board. Liquid cooling is the only way to go. So go that way!!

114.jpg

WZ

Edited by weldzilla