6800gt Or 6600gt?

Tjoe2000

In all honesty, I can't really tell a visual difference between my X800XT PE/XT/XL/6800U/6600GT.

The only real difference is that on the 6600GT I have to run at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 with 2x/4x AA, whereas on my 16-pipe cards I can run 1600x1200 with 4x/6x AA. It's not a really big difference. It's more for bragging rights, really. "OOOOH look at me! I've got an X850XT of uber coolness geekness!"

The Best Buy on Academy in Colorado Springs has the BFG 6600GTs for $150 after rebates($250 up front). I don't know if it's just that store or not. But that's a SWEET deal.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In two or three years time when 6600gt's are struggling with the latest games the extra oomph of the 6800gt will mean it is still a viable card, (mind you that whole argument falls down when you factor in the inevitablity that a 6800gt will be about $75.00 by then) lol

Personally, I can't stand playing a game with the latest cutting edge graphics that's as jaggy as freakin' Ms. Pac-Man. If you want your games to look good, if you don't want to have to think about if your framerate is gonna bog down, and if you want room to grow into your next (hopefully bigger, right? :lol:) monitor, get the better card.

i can score nearly as high in benchmarks with my 6600GT as many 6800GT's and Ultra's even,

464330[/snapback]

Ahem, links please?

unless you enjoy paying 50% more for 5% more performance

Sorry dude, even at 1024 x 768, 4xAA, 16x AF, all quality settings maxxed I get more than double the performance of my 9800 Pro. This applies to 1152x864 as well as 1280x1024 and 1600x1200.

HoloDreaM, if you didn't have to have an Ultra, here is a link to a BFG 6800GT (AGP) for $324.99.....Hell of a buy! Too bad I have PCIe, LoL.

http://datavisioncomputer.com/webapp/comme...04&prmenbr=2000

Is BFG the best brand, or what? Or are they better just because of the lifetime warranty? Newegg has an EVGA 6800GT PCIe RETAIL on sale today only for $369.99, is this a good card? What is the difference between retail and OEM? I know OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer", but these are also selling on sites like Newegg. OEM are cheaper to buy, I know that.

Flashing to ultra is throughly pointless. Firstmake sure the card is totaly stable at ultra settings, then just edit your existing BIOS to the clocks/voltage you want, or just OC the card.

Anyway, never cheap out on monitors. A monitor will last longer than any other part of your computer. My 21" sony CPD-E540 has been used with SIX of my computers and will probably be used with several more.

If you are going to be running at lower resolutions like 1024x768, then there really is no need for a higher end video card. However, if you intend to get a decent monitor soon, so you can run at higher resolutions like 1280x960/1024 or 1600x1200, or even higher, a 6800GT is MUCH faster than a 6600GT at these resolutions, esp if you use AA and AF.

As for benchmarks, most of them run at low resolutions by default. My 9800pro scores about 300 more points in 3dmark 2001 than my overclocked 6800GT, at stock settings. There are two reasons for this, ATI is slightly better and 3dmark 2001, and at those setting its still CPU limited. When I turn the resolution up to 1600x1200 and use 4xAA/16xAF the 6800GT is more than twice as fast. Same pattern shows up in games.

Edited by oralpain

The 6800GT is functionally NO different from an ultra except with regards to clock speed and the voltage regulators/molex connectors. The feature set of the 6800GT and Ultra are IDENTICAL.

There is nothing disabled on a 6800GT.

The plain 6800 has 4 disabled pixel pipelines and 1 disabled vertex unit.

Edited by oralpain

Nothing is for sure when overclocking.

Plenty of GTs won't hit ultra speeds stable, some of them will go well beyond stock ultra speeds. Plenty of Ultras won't OC much at all, and plenty of them will.

If you feel the difference between a 6800GT and a 6800Ultra is worth the price differential, go for it.