Need A Wireless Router

i am currently on a linksys router.

i just need one so i can take the laptop around the house and use it. any recommendations on which one too use?

i would also like to download using the laptop as well. (will this be a problem with wireless? will there be any curruption in files using a wieless router?)

well i currently have a Linksys, its served me prety good. and i heared some problems about restarting the router for linksys wireless.

so iam thinking about d-link or Netgear

any recommendations on which wireless router to get?

i am currently on a linksys router.

i just need one so i can take the laptop around the house and use it.  any recommendations on which one too use?

i would also like to download using the laptop as well. (will this be a problem with wireless?  will there be any curruption in files using a wieless router?)

well i currently have a Linksys, its served me prety good. and i heared some problems about restarting the router for linksys wireless.

so iam thinking about d-link or Netgear

any recommendations on which wireless router to get?

463745[/snapback]

Stick with Linksys and get the WRT54G. I have this model and never have to restart it and it gets the best ratings for speed and distance.

Yes, you can download files to your laptop and you should not have to worry about file corruption.

You didn't mention what wireless adapter you have in your laptop. If you are going to use a built in adapter, go with the Linksys I just mentioned.

If you want/need to buy a adapter card, then you might consider spending a few extra dollars and getting the WRT54GS with speed boost and a matching WPC54GS card for your laptop. Just remember, both the router and the laptop card must have speed boost in order to get the extra speed, otherwise it just works at normal speeds.

You could also spend about double and get the WRT54GX with MIMO if you want extra speed and distance.

You could also spend about double and get the  WRT54GX with MIMO if you want extra speed and distance.

I just ordered this from here for $149.00. I'll let you know how it works out. I hope to be able to use my laptop out by the pool with this.

This Router is the one i use in my house i have a 2 story 3200 square foot house and i have computers in everyroom and including a laptop i got it because i would always loose connections while in games and stuff and also turned out to b a nice wireless aswell i am able to walk with my laptop inside my home while downloading and everything file transfer is beautiful aswell oh well hope that helps

Guest Jeremy

Personally, I would reccomend Netgear. I have a wireless Netgear router and it works flawlessly, and it has a lot more useful features then the Linksys I had before (which broke after not working properly).

• 2 weeks later...

this is a follow-up on my thread

i bought this roughter http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp...N82E16833122022

just a few months ago it was over 200bux and got PC Worlds Best Buy award for wireless routers.

i got it for 70bux and it has a 20 dollar rebate which i sent off today. so that means it will end up costing me 50bux.

I have the router working with a Fujitsu S series Laptop. and then the rest of the computers are ran it wired to the new router. I love the new router. Way easy to configure. Probly more straight forward then my old LInksys.

I will definitly go with Netgear again if i had to get a new router.

get linksys

why you ask

cisco one of the largest networking companies mankes the gear

also dont trust pc world.... they suck

definatly get the linksys

they are the BEST consumer routers avalible

470174[/snapback]

i already bought it

i don't really like supporting the monoply company i like the underdog companys

For Example:

like i use AMD over Intel

ATI over Nvidia

Almost any motherboard over a ASUS

And almost any networking company over Cisco.

Ya i bought my first linksys before Cisco bought them out. thats the reason why i have a linksys.

I had nothing but problems with my dlink (dstink) wireless router. It was constantly dropping connection. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and concluded that the router was the cause. I went out and bought a Linksys 802.11g wireless router and it solved my problems completely. Maybe I just had a bad dlink, I don't know. But for now I'm sticking with Linksys.

Edited by Redskins36

• 2 weeks later...
I had nothing but problems with my dlink (dstink) wireless router.  It was constantly dropping connection. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and concluded that the router was the cause.  I went out and bought a Linksys 802.11g wireless router and it solved my problems completely.  Maybe I just had a bad dlink, I don't know.  But for now I'm sticking with Linksys.

472139[/snapback]

The place I used to work decided to go wireless and we got a Linksys router, worked great. My boss had the bright Idea to get a netgear access point instead of the router, bad idea. Signal drops all the time then I was the one being asked to fix it. I have a netgear router and wireless card right now and they suck. Signal drops quite often but doesn't always disconnect me completely.