Lanparty Nf4 Motherboard Pci-e Slots ?

After using SLI set up and two VGA cooler for two video cards, including the sound card, is there any PCI-Express slot left ?

Thanks

On this review it said.. if u use 2x nvidia 6800 ultras u will lose 1 PCI slot. Well basically anything with a huge side to it :)

463371[/snapback]

But I am using 2 x nvidia and 2 vga cooler, it will lose 2 PCI or PCIE slots due to those 2 vga coolers. then how many PCI-E slots and PCI slots are left on the motherbard ?

You could have 1 pci and 1 pci x1 slot. Sli covers everything.

463408[/snapback]

But the VGA Cooler blocked the 2 PCI or PCIE slots, if SLI only has 2 PCI like you said, then there won't be any PCI slot left?

(image deleted because hotlinking to newegg brings up an ANNOYING login dialog box)

Let's take a look shall we. With a VGA cooler, the x4 PCI-E slot above the video card would still be available. The x1 slot below the first x16 slot would NOT be available. The PCI slot below the second x16 slot would NOT be available due to the VGA cooler attached to the video card. The second PCI slot, not obstructed by anything, WILL be available.

So to summarize, you would have ONE x4 slot and ONE PCI slot available to you if you installed two video cards, each one having a VGA cooler attached to it. Since I have yet to find a sound card that uses PCI-Express slots, that free PCI slot would be used up by whatever sound card you buy. That leaves only that single x4 slot for your use. So to answer your question: Yes, you WILL have a PCI-Express slot left after installing a SLI setup with a soundcard.

• 8 months later...
(DON'T HOTLINK TO NEWEGG!!!)

Let's take a look shall we. With a VGA cooler, the x4 PCI-E slot above the video card would still be available. The x1 slot below the first x16 slot would NOT be available. The PCI slot below the second x16 slot would NOT be available due to the VGA cooler attached to the video card. The second PCI slot, not obstructed by anything, WILL be available.

So to summarize, you would have ONE x4 slot and ONE PCI slot available to you if you installed two video cards, each one having a VGA cooler attached to it. Since I have yet to find a sound card that uses PCI-Express slots, that free PCI slot would be used up by whatever sound card you buy. That leaves only that single x4 slot for your use. So to answer your question: Yes, you WILL have a PCI-Express slot left after installing a SLI setup with a soundcard.

463430[/snapback]

Interesting thread, very similar to what I wanted to know....

So, in the above situation with 1 x PCI-E 4 slot left what could you put in there to complement your set-up? I haven't seen any type of card that could go in there but I'm sure they exist otherwise mobo manufacturer would not have included support for them.

The same question I ask for PCI-E x 1 slots. What type of add-on card fits in there when/if it is not obstructed by adjacent VGA coolers?

As for normal PCI-E x 16 slots I am fully aware of their use, the above info will be used in helping me to decide on the base for my next rig. I've got to get this right because the mobo in computer terms is akin to foundations in buildings. And we all know what happened to the three little pigs don't we! :D

I bought myself a new case for XMAS, the Lian-Li PC-V1000 Plus, I made the mistake of skipping research on another PSU that I bought cos it isn't going to be suitable for the mobo I had in mind the DFI Lanparty Nf4 SLI-DR. I know that this mobo is feature packed, extremely stable when OC'D, and damm well looks GOOD in a modded case with its reactive slots and matching cabling. Upgradeability is quite important to me also, that's why I'll be spending so much on individual components. I've been playing around with computers for 16 months or so, latecomer is so much more than an understatement when it comes to describing my computer standing, it's a bleedin' travesty! How I wish I'd jumped on the bandwagon years ago! Anyway back to me and a lesson in how not to do things! So what I've been busy doing is digging out all my computer spares, bad buys, etc. and listing them on eBay to fund my next purchase, the DFI mobo. What are the chances of DFI prices dropping? In fact my biggest buy is surely going to be the AMD64x2 processor. I like to have the best that money can buy when it comes to computers, or else I'm left wondering "What if?" Sound familiar anyone?LOL :D

Yes, sorry for going on so much but it's therapeutic y'know. :)